2007 Yukon Timing Chain Tensioner Broke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiegurl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3 liter LMG (8th digit 0). I was on the highway engine died like key had been turned off. Coasted to the side of the highway tried to restart but it just cranked with no start, sounded like it was fast free spinning with no compression. Had it towed home assuming the timing chain had broke. Mechanic brother-in-law took off timing chain cover and the timing chain tensioner had broke causing the timing to jump off time. Replaced with a Cloyes timing chain kit and also replaced camshaft position sensor. Both bought from O'REILLY'S. Once put back together it did not start, doing the same thing as it did before the parts were replaced. Cranks with free spinning sound. He never checked the compression with a compression gauge, did not pull a valve cover to see what was going on. Before tearing into it the only thing he did was remove the oil filler kneck and could see the cam moving. Now he wants to say the cam is broke. He didn't do any test to determine this so I am totally at a lost what's wrong with my vehicle. Any advice would help. I love my Yukon, it's in too perfect of condition to just trash. I need advice on where to go from here. Please and thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240619_085802_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240619_085802_Chrome.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240619_090501_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240619_090501_Chrome.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2007 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3 liter LMG (8th digit 0). I was on the highway engine died like key had been turned off. Coasted to the side of the highway tried to restart but it just cranked with no start, sounded like it was fast free spinning with no compression. Had it towed home assuming the timing chain had broke. Mechanic brother-in-law took off timing chain cover and the timing chain tensioner had broke causing the timing to jump off time. Replaced with a Cloyes timing chain kit and also replaced camshaft position sensor. Both bought from O'REILLY'S. Once put back together it did not start, doing the same thing as it did before the parts were replaced. Cranks with free spinning sound. He never checked the compression with a compression gauge, did not pull a valve cover to see what was going on. Before tearing into it the only thing he did was remove the oil filler kneck and could see the cam moving. Now he wants to say the cam is broke. He didn't do any test to determine this so I am totally at a lost what's wrong with my vehicle. Any advice would help. I love my Yukon, it's in too perfect of condition to just trash. I need advice on where to go from here. Please and thank you.
the work needs to be double checked, pull the cover off and make sure the timing marks are alinged properly, that should of course had been done when the kit was installed.
maybe it got rotated 180d?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really hope this has nothing to do with 'CASE' - Crank Angle Sensor Error relearning?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be that the timing chain tensioner broke was the "effect" of something else, like a more serious thing such as a dropped valve.

The fact that it seems to spin freely is very concerning. I would do a compression test before proceeding further. Remove the intake manifold and exhaust manifolds and try to look at the valves.

OP
OP
B

bowtiegurl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the work needs to be double checked, pull the cover off and make sure the timing marks are alinged properly, that should of course had been done when the kit was installed.
maybe it got rotated 180d?
The cover was pulled yesterday and the timing marks were right on at 6 and 12.

OP
OP
B

bowtiegurl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I could be that the timing chain tensioner broke was the "effect" of something else, like a more serious thing such as a dropped valve.

The fact that it seems to spin freely is very concerning. I would do a compression test before proceeding further. Remove the intake manifold and exhaust manifolds and try to look at the valves.
Is it not normal for the tensioner to break at 267,000 miles? This is all new to me so bare with me. The valve cover gasket was removed this morning and the rockers and valve springs move when trying to start the engine.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it not normal for the tensioner to break at 267,000 miles? This is all new to me so bare with me. The valve cover gasket was removed this morning and the rockers and valve springs move when trying to start the engine.
timing chain issue's on these engines are pretty rare, not unheard of it's just not a common thing like the on the older 350's etc
as noted it is probably advisable to proceed with a compression test and verifiy you have fuel+air+spark and that something else did not happen during the repairs
such as a loose or disconnected harness, blown fuse i.e. megafuse, verify fuel pressure, etc..
in other words double check EVERYTHING

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not normal for timing chain to break (or tensioner). If timing chain breaks, you usually got bigger problems.

Also, these engines are technically interference engines so a broken timing chain usually causes catastrophic issues such as bent valves due to to piston contact.

OP
OP
B

bowtiegurl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
timing chain issue's on these engines are pretty rare, not unheard of it's just not a common thing like the on the older 350's etc
as noted it is probably advisable to proceed with a compression test and verifiy you have fuel+air+spark and that something else did not happen during the repairs
such as a loose or disconnected harness, blown fuse i.e. megafuse, verify fuel pressure, etc..
in other words double check EVERYTHING
Thank you very much for your recommendations. Will get busy on it this evening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velt