2008 Tahoe LT “build” thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRedNeck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I joined the forum when i bought my 2023 Yukon XL Denali Ultimate, but recently I was finally able to talk my FIL into selling his 2008 Tahoe LT with 64000 miles on it. It was his wife’s truck but when she got sick and passed it just sat in the driveway, being driven rarely.

I picked it up and drove it home and began a refresh. The exterior was pretty rough as he never really too much care to wash or wax. Headlights were faded and paint was rough, but still solid. Thought I was going to need a rear window regulator but turns out it had never been rolled down and the dirt buildup was keeping it from rolling down, working fine now that its been washed.

First up, new fluids.
-Used the motive power flush to completely flush all the brakes
-Changed the oil and filter (the oil looked like it was right out of the bottle but I want to start fresh. Amsoil and a Baldwin filter, I used the b7449 that fits my 6.2. Better filtration and slightly longer.
-installed a fumoto drain valve
-double drain and fill on the 4L60E with Amsoil synthetic and Wix filter and a new pan with drain plug
-New Wix airfilter
-Flushed the power steering and filled with Amsoil PS fluid
-all new belts, tensioners and idlers
-all new hoses, including the heater core plastic Tees (had too many of those crack over the years)
-new thermostat
-Dexcool and reverse osmosis water

Some suspension bits
-New bilstein 5100 shocks and struts
- New moog swaybar end link (original was disintegrated even with only 64k)

Tune
-Diablo basic tune to tune out the speed limiter and the AFM

MISD
-Replaced the drivers door lock actuator with OEM GM part
-replaced interior dome lights with LEDs
-New weather tech mats front, rear and cargo

Tires and Wheels
-new 2024 OEM Tahoe Wheels
-Michelin 275/55/20 Defender LTX MS
-Advanced wheel locks (really like these cone shaped)
-New TPMS sensors

Exterior
-removed some badges
-New Bosch wiper blades
-washed and clay bar
-began 3M three step paint correction with 10 hours on the rotary to cut the paint.
-new GM OEM headlamp assemblies

Still to be done:

Replace spark plugs
Step 2 and three of the paint correction
Wet sand and compound the roof and reinstall roof rails.
Either remove or replace and repaint the door moulding - they did not hold up well to the sun exposure
Wax
PPF on the new headlights
New Pioneer touchscreen
JBL component speakers in front
JBL 2 way in back
Back up camera and steeering wheel control module
Viper alarm
Rear bumper cover replace/repaint (has a scuff on the side)
Detail the interior (all but the drivers seat was rarely if ever sat in so the interior is amazing but still going to start fresh)
Eventually replace the cracked dash or put a pad on it.

Will be selling the pristine third row seats, my kids are grown and in college.
Sold the pristine OEM 17s and center caps to a guy at a car wash when I was having my duramax washed.

The plan is for this to be a driver to keep some miles off our primary vehicles. Starting to look pretty nice and it rides and drives like a dream

Having trouble uploading photos but will keep trying.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valenciano1424