2008 Yukon Denali - the dealership / GM is rebuilding our tranny AND engine - advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fellowgearhead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Back in January 2011 we purchased a used 2008 Yukon Denali with 50,000 miles. It was a "GM certified" vehicle with a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty. We have had many issues with this truck, ranging from replacing the transmission line, replacing one of the oxygen sensors, and a transmission problem which resulting in the tranny being taken out and a portion of it replaced.

Now we returned to the dealership with two issues: one with the tranny, the other with the engine. They have been pretty shady with the problem of the tranny, but GM recommended a complete tranny rebuild. The engine problem was diagnosed as the infamous "piston slap". GM is recommending rebuilding / replacing everything above the engine block.

Have you heard of issues like this with other late model Yukons? I have heard of piston slap with older Yukon's, but not with later models.

Anyone have advice or other info to share?

plush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the same truck back in July, it had 38k on it. I now have 40k. Can't say anything about piston slap, yet. However, i have had it in the shop 3 times for transmission issue in the short time I have owned it. One for leak, I posted up pics somewhere on here. The other time they took it apart and replaced the 3-5 rings, seals, kit, or something like that. And last week for a diagnostic to tell me it needed a new battery. I am still have a slip transmission issue. I was reading on the Cadillac forum about several people have exactly the same issue I describe, how a lower speeds the transmission seems to slip in a and out of gear and when I switched over to manual mode I was going 35 and it was already in 5th gear. Just something ain't right.

OP
OP
F

fellowgearhead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
tranny / engine rebuild

Yes it is still under warranty.

First Tranny issue: on a "cold" start when shifting from Reverse to Drive the transmission would hesistate/was unresponsive. Was told it was a pin hole leak that allowed fluid to leak so there was no pressure. They replaced some tranny parts and that issue was fixed.

After that repair I noticed that at low speeds (around 30 mph) the transmission would have a harsh/noticeable shift. Issue only occurred at low speeds when your "end goal" was to drive about 30 or 35 mph. If you hopped on the highway and were accelerating to 65 or 70mph, the issue wasn't nearly as noticeable.

Customer Service guy told me the tranny issue was " a torn seal that wasn't allowing fluid to pass through". He was super vague. Asked him to speak directly to the service technician and have a detailed answer. When he later spoke with my husband he still said " I don't have the details on the tranny". Shady.

plush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is still under warranty.

First Tranny issue: on a "cold" start when shifting from Reverse to Drive the transmission would hesistate/was unresponsive. Was told it was a pin hole leak that allowed fluid to leak so there was no pressure. They replaced some tranny parts and that issue was fixed.

After that repair I noticed that at low speeds (around 30 mph) the transmission would have a harsh/noticeable shift. Issue only occurred at low speeds when your "end goal" was to drive about 30 or 35 mph. If you hopped on the highway and were accelerating to 65 or 70mph, the issue wasn't nearly as noticeable.

Customer Service guy told me the tranny issue was " a torn seal that wasn't allowing fluid to pass through". He was super vague. Asked him to speak directly to the service technician and have a detailed answer. When he later spoke with my husband he still said " I don't have the details on the tranny". Shady.

man, have you been riding in me truck. :) Mine is only cover by the powertrain warranty.

OP
OP
F

fellowgearhead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
man, have you been riding in me truck. :) Mine is only cover by the powertrain warranty.

Well, this is GM certified for 12K miles or 12 months, so I have 3 months left. Then we are relying on the powertrain warranty.

I am torn on what to do. Part of me wants to keep the truck, we will have a "new" engine and tranny, so that is great. But here is the big question: are the new parts any different/improved from the old parts? If not, am I going to be experiencing the same issues in another 40 or 50K miles?

I really like this truck. But we have owned it for 8 months and it has been in for service 6 times. They have had my truck for 3 weeks now and estimate it will not be returned for another 2 weeks...

OP
OP
F

fellowgearhead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I guess here is the question: do you know of anyone who has experienced major repairs like this? If so, were they able to negotiate an extended warranty? or some sort of extra coverage?

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I guess here is the question: do you know of anyone who has experienced major repairs like this? If so, were they able to negotiate an extended warranty? or some sort of extra coverage?

I'm sure you would have to purchase a warranty. If you purchase a warranty only get the GMPP warranty. Also on the piston slap issue, they said to replace everything from the engine block up? If they don't replace the pistons how would that fix the issue? Does the slap only happen before the engine is warmed up?
You may never have another issue with this car after these things are fixed but some cars are just lemons. I always thought that you take care of a car and it will take care of you. That didn't work to well with the trailblazer SS GM bought back from me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyRebel