2008 Yukon Denali - the dealership / GM is rebuilding our tranny AND engine - advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the same truck back in July, it had 38k on it. I now have 40k. Can't say anything about piston slap, yet. However, i have had it in the shop 3 times for transmission issue in the short time I have owned it. One for leak, I posted up pics somewhere on here. The other time they took it apart and replaced the 3-5 rings, seals, kit, or something like that. And last week for a diagnostic to tell me it needed a new battery. I am still have a slip transmission issue. I was reading on the Cadillac forum about several people have exactly the same issue I describe, how a lower speeds the transmission seems to slip in a and out of gear and when I switched over to manual mode I was going 35 and it was already in 5th gear. Just something ain't right.

It goes into higher gears to save gas. Watch your tachometer next time you drive.

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The six speed sucks. The one in my Tahoe was replaced at 17K, not rebuilt. It still sucks, even with BB tuning, but it's better. The 6.2 has been thirsty, but other than that, OK. They will not give you additional warranty. The trans issues are well known in the 6.2 trucks (Escalade/Denali/ the few rare Tahoes with it). This is the 6L80E or 6L90E, not the 6L60E the 5.3 trucks get. The shifting issue is TSB #09-07-30-004A:

#09-07-30-004B: Flare and/or Harsh 2-3 Shifts (Install Three Fluid Seal Rings) - (May 27, 2010)
999999995.gif

Subject:Flare and/or Harsh 2-3 Shifts (Install Three Fluid Seal Rings)

Models:2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT 2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado2008-2009 Chevrolet Suburban2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali 2008-2009 GMC Yukon XL2009 GMC YukonEquipped with 6L80 (RPO MYC) or 6L90 (RPO MYD) Automatic Transmission Vehicles Built Prior to December 2008

Attention: Vehicles built prior to December 2008 are more likely to have leaking fluid seal rings. Starting in November 2008, a new 2-piece seal was implemented. When the transmission pump is removed and a 2-piece seal is found, do not continue on with this bulletin. The guidelines of this bulletin will not apply to a 2-piece seal.

This bulletin is being revised to add a build date and information about a 2-piece seal. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-07-30-004A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

This did not fix my truck, and actually made it worse. The trans was replaced a few thousand miles later after bitching about it 5-6 more times and having the SM witness the problem.

plush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So where can all these TSB's be found? And why is it that the dealership acts stupid each time I go in, like they never heard anything about this?

OP
OP
F

fellowgearhead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update

as an update, I went to the dealership today and requested the list of parts they are ordering for the vehicle. Regarding the engine, the parts list does include the pistons, bearings, etc. For the transmission, they listed a bunch of seals, pistons, dam, gasket, f-carrier. We have voiced our concerns that this may not fix the issue but also acknowledged that it might be great and we never have another problem.

Very torn on what to do. Keep the truck and take the risk? I really like the truck (when it isn't in for repair). Or do we arrange for the dealership to take it back? Or to have GM buy it back?

I would be happier if the engine were replaced (block and all) but apparantly GM isn't willing to do that.

We are hearing more bad news about the tranny the more research we do. Same for the engine. THis stinks.

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to say that I quite surprised to see so many serious issues with a 50,000 mile Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali or Escalade. My best guess would be that the previous owner ran the piss out of it on a daily basis.

Even worse yet, if it was a rental through a car rental company (Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, etc...), it probably had a different person driving the piss out of every day. Even the 3 year rentals through GM have a rough life, people couldn't care less how much they abuse and misuse the vehicle.

Here's what happens to rental vehicles like Tahoes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqHGDDiVdKM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFOpWfCNqHw

tx07tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would ask what they are going to do if it doesnt work this time and you continue to have similar issues. Will they replace everything again? Will they buy the truck back? Are these new parts covered under a different warrenty that is new? And i wouldnt be to nice. Tell them you are sick and tired of having to take it into the shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rescurat