2008 Yukon Denali - the dealership / GM is rebuilding our tranny AND engine - advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

fellowgearhead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So after 4 weeks (yes weeks) I finally got my truck back today. I will post the details later, but the final tally is:

1. New Pistons, rings and gaskets in the Engine
2. Replacement parts in the tranny (seal, piston, etc).

Paperwork is in the truck, will post details later on.

What a headache! Gotta say, seems like a ton of repairs already on this truck. Owned it for almost 10 months, been in the shop 7 times...

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kim,

I have read several forum threads (other than TYF) referring to this 'piston slap' issue. It looks like it is happening to a LOT of GMT900 platform vehicles with the 6.2L -- So I guess you aren't the only one : /

Keep us updated! I'm gonna cross my fingers I never have to go through this...

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, here's my take on it. You got all those parts replaced under warranty, now maybe those parts will fall under the dealerships usual 12mth/12,000 mile warranty, but maybe not, and you don't usually have any say in that, especially since it didn't cost you anything.

They replaced all those engine parts for piston slap??? That shocks me. I would have expected them to say the piston slap is a normal wear item, or doesn't cause any damage, or something like that. Was it making noise all the time or just for a few seconds when cold?

I guess the good part is you had a gm mechanic rebuilding the engine and tranny who would have replaced anything out of specs. So that's a good thing. Does that mean you will never have a problem again? Who knows... Now a days, I think it's the luck of the draw with GM vehicles. Was your truck built at a certain plant that has lots of problems? Was it built on a Monday or Friday when line workers don't really want to be there and let stuff slide? Was it built during UAW negotiations and everybody was throwing fits because they weren't going to get what they wanted in a new contract?

OP
OP
F

fellowgearhead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes I see what you are saying - tough to predict the future :O)

Just for reference, here is a summary of the mechanic's notes:

1. Engine noise - both when cold and warm. was told by TAC to take apart the engine. Found oil control rings frozen to the pistons and the upper rings hard to move on pistons. Also found that side of pistons are worn down past the coating. Clean and hone all cyls - measured cyl to make sure of no over size - none found. Replace all 8 pistons and rings also replace all rod bearings. Reinstall pistons and roads. Clean and install cyl heads. (side note: also replaced all 8 spark plugs)

2. Tranny issue - road test to find at 35 to 40 mph trans shifts very harsh and slams into gear also feels like the trans will slip 3 to 4 shift and light throttle. check fluid level - fluid is full and bright red (side note: tranny was rebuilt already earlier in 2011) - I see a little metal in the fluid. Removed and took apart trans to find that the piston seals have metal in them and on 26 clutch piston seal there is a tear on the sealing face to the housing. After total tear down found the root cause of the metal in the fluid is from the Final Drive Support bearing. Replace Final drive assy. Replace all piston seals, clean valve body.

So, after 5 weeks I have my Denali back. At least until tomorrow. When they come and take it back. Truck wouldn't start today when I was picking up my two girls at daycare. I told them when I started the truck today that it turned over hard. Drove it back into the dealership - had them load test the battery - it checked out ok. However I told them I wasn't sure it was right and that I had reservations. Guess I was right. So, they are picking it back up tomorrow, hopefully it is just a bad cell in the battery or something. What a pain!

Kim

phillydog07

Reaction score
I would ***** to GM until they either refund the purchase price or significantly extend the powertrain warranty. That is ridiculous.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

fellowgearhead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
PhillyDog - we are working on that right now. Pretty sure we are leaning toward having the dealership take it back. I estimate that in the 10 months since buying the vehicle, it has been at the dealership for almost 2 months of that time. That is so crazy!

HD4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow very unfortunate. I have an 08' Yukon XL Denali that I bought with 30,000 miles now has 40,000. Never any isses. Motor is strong as well as the trans.

Steedog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is crazy. I can't believe your vehicle is having so many issues. Sheesh. Sorry to hear that. Hope you get a replacement. A permanent one.

OP
OP
F

fellowgearhead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
an update

Just wanted to post an update for anyone interested.

We had our 2008 Yukon Denali back for about 6 weeks. It now has 58,000 miles on, with about 1,000 miles on the rebuilt tranny and engine. The trans was still acting up. The engine was fine until all of a sudden it started acting weird. The engine light began flashing and other messages popped up about traction control and stabiltrak. That's when I heard a noise, coming from the motor. Knock, knock, knock. Hello - can anyone say broken lifter? Seriously, I was not happy.

Turns out that "a chunk" broke off from the piston, and the broken piston broke the lifter.

The dealership is now replacing the entire engine and transmission (I guess they didn't want to rebuild the tranny for a 3rd time in one year).

Hubby and I are still debating whether we should keep the vehicle, with the new engine and trans, or if we should cut bait and run to a different vehicle.

Just wanted to provide an update, if anyone else was having issues.

Thanks - Kim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rescurat