2009 Yukon Denali worth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
I

islandhopper00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I towed a 7500 lb camper with a 2012 Yukon XL Denali for 4 years and 20K miles. 230ºF is not a big deal for short periods, but I normally saw 190-210ºF on the highway, depending on traffic, which is just fine. Dexron VI is much more thermally stable than earlier fluids. I made a bunch of mods to mine to better tolerate towing heavy but if I had it to do over again, I would just keep the stock coolers and change the transmission fluid every 20-25K.

One mod I would make again for sure though is a better torque converter with a billet cover and stronger lockup clutch.
This is interesting to hear. Maybe I just need to adjust my thinking. My camper weighs about 6000lbs.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is interesting to hear. Maybe I just need to adjust my thinking. My camper weighs about 6000lbs.
Here's a link to my research saga, in case you're interested. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...towing-in-the-summer-heat.125753/post-1562470

And on the transmission fluid temps, here's what GM has to say:

In the February 2011 issue of Trailer Life magazine RV Clinic in response to a reader about the maximum transmission temperature allowed in a 2009 Chevy Silverado, the Tech Team had this response.

“General Motors’ in-house towing team expert provided RV Clinic with this statement: The maximum allowable automatic transmission fluid temperature is dictated by the transmission oil itself. The oil begins to degrade significantly above 270 degrees Fahrenheit, so we design vehicles so that in all but the most extreme conditions, the fluid temperature in the transmission sump stays below 270 degrees F.

We allow for up to 285 degrees F in extreme conditions (i.e. towing a trailer with combination loaded at GCWR in Death Valley). But for customer usage anywhere else in the country, even at GCWR, transmission sump temperature should stay well below 270 degrees F. Above this point, certain internal components, such as seals, begin to disintegrate rather quickly. Although newer synthetic fluids can withstand higher temperatures we still recommend this (270F) as a maximum temperature."

-----------

And finally, some wisdom from another member here several years ago who also towed a heavy camper with his Tahoe:

"The weak link in an automatic transmission is the fluid. All of the other components can handle the elevated temperatures. As I mentioned earlier, Dexron VI starts to degrade severely at 270°. So I was not concerned that the transmission was running at 230°. I confirmed this with a close friend, who is a transmission engineer at GM. I respect and trust his opinion.

Aftermarket coolers are discussed frequently, but the bottom line is that they're unnecessary, particularly with Dexron VI transmissions. The manufacturers test their vehicles under "worst case" conditions. You can go to Arizona, Death Valley or Pikes Peak, and you will surely see some test mules loaded up with instruments and sensors.

As an aside, I've been in the seal business for over 20 years. About a third of my business is to Tier 1 automotive suppliers, including transmission manufacturers. I call on companies like ZF, Aisin, and Master Automatic. It's my job to know how my products, and rubbers and plastics in general, are affected by elevated temperatures."

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I keep it to pull my camper with. It has plenty of power, but I really don't like how hot the transmission gets. GM told me it has the biggest best trans cooler they offer, and 230 temps are normal. Not to me.
I don't like the idea of installing the true cool 40k unit because I don't want to cut the lines. Too bad because the engine has plenty of power to pull my small RV.
you do not need to cut anything, you can make it 100% plug-n-play with the right connectors, won't leak a drop either
you just need 2 of each of these, you might finder lower prices for the adapter by shopping around as these prices are from a few years ago, just be sure they are the Exact same size.
the top pic is amazon and lower pic is from ebay and the an line guy still sells them same price i think, those an lines are good for like 6000psi or soemthing like that lol. nowhere near the psi of a cooler which is around 20psi max
trucool.JPGtrucool1.JPG

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and the sole factor that makes a older vehicle like ours have much value at all beyond normal price is super low miles, nothing else, not upgrades, not anything really
good maintenance records might help move it along....at normal used car value. That and not trying to dump a heap of problems on the buyer by selling a beat up pos

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The L9H in the 2009 Denali does indeed have VVT unless someone removed it. A RWD Denali has the 9.5" 14-bolt semi-floater rear axle.

If you want to tow with that short wheelbase rig, change the fluid often. Transmission coolers don't last forever and neither do the lines, they get clogged up over time and require replacement. GM had so many transmissions failing due to reduced flow from the coolers that they began to test for it when servicing the transmissions back then.

OP
OP
I

islandhopper00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The L9H in the 2009 Denali does indeed have VVT unless someone removed it. A RWD Denali has the 9.5" 14-bolt semi-floater rear axle.

If you want to tow with that short wheelbase rig, change the fluid often. Transmission coolers don't last forever and neither do the lines, they get clogged up over time and require replacement. GM had so many transmissions failing due to reduced flow from the coolers that they began to test for it when servicing the transmissions back then.
Is there any sign that vvt activates? I don't feel it, I don't hear it, and theres nothing that tells me it has vvt.

OP
OP
I

islandhopper00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 2001 Yukon

I had a 2001 Yukon 4wd with 5.3 and 4:10 gears. It was special ordered from the factory like that. I towed my camper a lot of miles with that truck. This Yukon tows very similar except it has considerably more power. The suspension is kinda soft but my weight distribution hitch does a good job of stiffening the rear suspension up.
The inly concern I had was the trans temps. But y'all calmed me down about that.
So it's change the trans fluid more often if I tow often. I will do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24