2009 Yukon Denali worth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any sign that vvt activates? I don't feel it, I don't hear it, and theres nothing that tells me it has vvt.

No, it's completely seamless.

I had a 2001 Yukon 4wd with 5.3 and 4:10 gears.

The Denali's 3.42s with the 6-speed is comparable to the old 4-speed and 4.10s. The Denali's 3rd gear final drive ratio is 5.23:1 and her 4th gear is 3.94:1.

Truck looks to be in great shape!

Now for your screen name. Are you a WW2 history buff or like to sail the Bahamas? Do you own an Island Hopper sailboat or 30' Island Hopper motor vessel?

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And finally, some wisdom from another member here several years ago who also towed a heavy camper with his Tahoe:

"The weak link in an automatic transmission is the fluid. All of the other components can handle the elevated temperatures. As I mentioned earlier, Dexron VI starts to degrade severely at 270°. So I was not concerned that the transmission was running at 230°. I confirmed this with a close friend, who is a transmission engineer at GM. I respect and trust his opinion.

Aftermarket coolers are discussed frequently, but the bottom line is that they're unnecessary, particularly with Dexron VI transmissions. The manufacturers test their vehicles under "worst case" conditions. You can go to Arizona, Death Valley or Pikes Peak, and you will surely see some test mules loaded up with instruments and sensors.

As an aside, I've been in the seal business for over 20 years. About a third of my business is to Tier 1 automotive suppliers, including transmission manufacturers. I call on companies like ZF, Aisin, and Master Automatic. It's my job to know how my products, and rubbers and plastics in general, are affected by elevated temperatures."

Wow, that guy sounds really smart....:p

It's my Suburban, not a Tahoe.

Running the transmission hotter? Change the fluid more frequently. Easy-peasy. Only time my Suburban casts a shadow in a dealership repair bay is for a transmission flush/replacement. All 16 quarts.

She's up to 255k miles, original 6L90 shifts perfectly, and we're planning another Epic Family Roadtrip into the Rockies in a few weeks with an 8,000-lb, 35-foot travel trailer. And yes, we'll be running the Ike Gauntlet again - Eisenhower Tunnel, 11,100' altitude, 7% grades. I'll be sure to post a pic or two with the trans at 240°.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Running the transmission hotter? Change the fluid more frequently. Easy-peasy. Only time my Suburban casts a shadow in a dealership repair bay is for a transmission flush/replacement. All 16 quarts.

She's up to 255k miles, original 6L90 shifts perfectly, and we're planning another Epic Family Roadtrip into the Rockies in a few weeks with an 8,000-lb, 35-foot travel trailer. And yes, we'll be running the Ike Gauntlet again - Eisenhower Tunnel, 11,100' altitude, 7% grades. I'll be sure to post a pic or two with the trans at 240°.
Ah, I was actually thinking of another bloke with a Tahoe, but you’re right, those are your words and I’m sorry for the misattribution.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The L9H in the 2009 Denali does indeed have VVT unless someone removed it. A RWD Denali has the 9.5" 14-bolt semi-floater rear axle.

If you want to tow with that short wheelbase rig, change the fluid often. Transmission coolers don't last forever and neither do the lines, they get clogged up over time and require replacement. GM had so many transmissions failing due to reduced flow from the coolers that they began to test for it when servicing the transmissions back then.

It’s funny you say that because GM no longer requires the coolers to be flow tested because they said it is never an issue.

OP
OP
I

islandhopper00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

This make me much more comfortable, to hear a real-world testament. Thanks for this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24