2010 Yukon Denali Overheating when Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tim907356

Tim907356

Reaction score
I see. If the temperature stabilized at 235F, that may be okay.

You can use factory parts to add the engine oil cooler, which is simply the cooler lines and the radiator that had the engine oil cooler option. It goes on driver's side on top of the oil filter. Just remove the block off plate and install the new lines. You will have to replace the radiator.

The engine oil cooler option was standard on all 2500 SUVs (as well as 2500 HD+ trucks) as far as I know. It was more like for a towing setup. I'm not sure if 1500s got them, maybe only a few of them if they had that RPO code? I've never owned a 1500 SUV, so IDK.
Mine is a '2500', 6.2L Denali. I'm due an oil change so I'll look for the block off plate. that sounds like a good option!!...
Edit: KC4, dangit, it's already there1 :(

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a '2500', 6.2L Denali. I'm due an oil change so I'll look for the block off plate. that sounds like a good option!!...
Edit: KC4, dangit, it's already there1 :(
Oh, so you DO have an engine oil cooler then...

The block off plate is if you don't have that option.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have missed it but how many miles on it? has anything be done to the cooling system?

if over a 100k and you've not done cooling system maintenance, it's time for new firewall coolant T's anyways, while you have it apart, do the hoses too, pretty cheap. there's also a DENSO radiator the tow guys runs from rock auto, I don't know the part number without searching but it's an extra 1/4in cores and fresh. seems to help, and I wanna say it's only 150$?

almost everyone seems to have problems with the bigger aluminum radiators made by cold case, so I'd avoid those. I think froggy has the mishimoto 2in core aluminum, probably better quality and he used to tow with a supercharger well over the factory rating. I can't imagine how hot that thing would run stock but over 600$ last I looked. good warranty but warranty doesn't mean much when it's annoying to replace.

beside that, there's some air ducts on the side of the radiator. gm made them out of something other than the plastic that basically turns to dust at someone. don't know why they couldn't use the same cheap plastic the rest of the truck is made out of. but worth taking a peak at.

I agree 235 isn't a huge deal on new radiator and hoses, but old plastic end tanks, hoses and T's. I might worry more.

a tune can help too.

OP
OP
Tim907356

Tim907356

Reaction score
In addition to the electric fans, should there/could there also be a clutch fan? The hub on the motor has threads for one, but it’s not there.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In theory, there COULD ...
After I converted from mech clutch fan to electrical fan pair, I temporarily reinstalled the mech clutch fan.
Y'know, for schidts & giggles, to prove it was possible.

But I spent less than 24 hours with three fans.
Proving it COULD be done, also proved that there's no reason it should be done.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In addition to the electric fans, should there/could there also be a clutch fan? The hub on the motor has threads for one, but it’s not there.

No. The fan shrouds are not the same, and the clutch fan doesn't help much without the larger shroud. All the water pumps have the threaded shaft since they cover multiple years and fan technologies.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In addition to the electric fans, should there/could there also be a clutch fan?
The hub on the motor has threads for one, but it’s not there.
Actually, this is nearly conclusive evidence that the engine had an electrical fan conversion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velt