2011, <11k miles, dead in driveway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmazinglySmooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2011 Yukon XL Denali demo in December with 7k miles. Today, it was dead in my driveway. Tried to jump it, and it wouldn't crank. With the other battery connected, the electronics did work, but otherwise it was dead. Roadside assistance picked it up on a flatbed and took it to the dealer.

Fortunately, it is under warranty, but electrical shorts can be very tricky to find. I hope the dealer can fix it.

awray

Reaction score
Bad starter? Would be rare on such a new vehicle but crazy things can happen.

OP
OP
A

AmazinglySmooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad starter? Would be rare on such a new vehicle but crazy things can happen.

Dealer claims it was a bad battery, but I'm not accepting that until they look into the rest of the electrical. The tow guy tried to jump it with a jumper box and it showed <12V when connected. The interior lights were dim too. I think the battery died early because of a "short" somewhere.

SCMODS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had two cases in my car ownership history where a battery totally failed without warning (in once case I could not even jump start the vehicle) and in both cases replacing the battery solved the problem with zero further issues. Stay positive.

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks can do some crazy thing when the batt goes dead. My 2007 is on its third batt. It died in a parking lot about 4 miles from my house back in december. I jump started it and drove it home so I could take the batt out and go get a new one. On the way home the dash was lit up like a christmas tree. All my warning lights where on like check eng, trac control, ect. It was also in limp mode so it would not go over 2k rpm because it had a bad miss. I put a new batt in it and have not had a prob since. New cars are funny like that. My neighbor has a camry and the radio was out for months so they took it to the dealership, no trouble starting. The service rep said I know what's wrong replace the batt. They did and radio works fine now.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck has a huge gap in the engine bay behind the driver's side headlamp ... its shape almost seems intended to receive a second battery in there. I wonder if it's worth doing. :think:

Big Bad Allis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I open my doors whether I touch anything or not it seems like there a lot of electrical business going on. Sounds like a CD changer changing discs. It that normal?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the Nav DVD loading up sounding like a 1996 Gateway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeR4065