2011 Tahoe after Market air conditioning filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My main concern know it that the part that covers the filter bottom is not flush enough and water will leak. So I’m concerned that I need to sand the rough edge’s more and get a better filter. Doubelieve do you have the Dorman part number for the filter? If I could have it please.

For future reference there is a cover that goes over the area where to filter is. You need to remove 3, 7mm nuts. Then remove the plastics cover then cut out the long rectangular section with a box knife or preferably an electric cutting tool like a dremel. It’s an odd low area and I’m a big guy it’s project. Get sand paper and smooth the rough areas once you cut the section out. It also creates a mess. I used a dremel tool with a dry wall cutting bit vs there small circular saw. The saw cutting tool cuts fast but it super heats the plastic an it melts. It it gets on the carpet it will fuse as it cools. You will make a mess believe me. Wear protective glasses. lots of plastic shavings everywhere.

Aloha

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_4054.jpeg
    IMG_4054.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4055.jpeg
    IMG_4055.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4057.jpeg
    IMG_4057.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4056.jpeg
    IMG_4056.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 3

EvergreenZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also did this mod on both the Tahoe and Suburban, but had better luck using a brand new blade on a utility knife than cutting open the hole with the Dremel. I did use a Dremel to finish the project eventually, but just for cleaning-up the edges.

I had to remove three 7mm bolts on the knee panel to remove it, but left the one that was behind the center console off when I put everything back together to make changing the filter easier.

OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have to sand down the edges? What filter do you use?

Hope it’s worked out for you.

Ken

EvergreenZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have to sand down the edges? What filter do you use?

Hope it’s worked out for you.

Ken
I didn’t sand them down as much as smoothed them out. I felt the new “door” sealed it enough that it didn’t have to be perfect.

I used the filter I got with the kit and GM filters. It is an awkward bend to insert but fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lacebm2

Latest posts