2012 Tahoe Cam issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Masonisking

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I bought a 2012 tahoe a little over a year ago now, and im ready to sell it and move onto something with a little better gas milage. About a week after i bought it, one of the lifters got stuck causing the engine to misfire on the first cylinder. I got all 8 replaced etc. However shortly after i got a check engine light come on, took it to the shop and they supposedly replaced the Cam position sensor. The light turned off, and then about 2 days later back on throwing the P0011, which iirc was the cam timing magnet. I took it to the shop, and they said it needed a new phaser.

So here i am no, trying to sell the car wanting to possibly fix the issues before i sell it. Should i try to replace the Cam timing magnet/position sensor and see if that fixes this issue? Or Should i just sell it as it sits? As replacing the whole phaser isn't really an option for me as im not looking to spend that much money. Are these things even part of the p0011 code? Should i take it somewhere and get a second diagnosis to see if thats the issue for sure?

Thanks!

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not by my part from the shop. Look at Rockauto and the 5% discount code. Try YouTube and see if you could replace it yourself.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the code is for the cam sensor, then I would definately try and replace that.
A cam phaser (VVT) issue should throw a different code I believe..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LS33