2013 Tahoe LS Radiator(s)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just00Jake

Reaction score
Hello all, I hope your 4th of July was good. I have a question regarding my radiator. I had a branch launched through my grill while driving and it of course trashed my radiator. I knew I had one of those little transmission coolers aside from my primary radiator because I have the tow package but now I'm taking inventory of what I need to get my Tahoe back on the road and I'm seeing that there is actually a separate radiator that mounts on the front side of the frame right in front of my primary radiator and my little transmission radiator is on the front of that. What is the extra radiator? I'm trying to figure out how to look it up to learn what I can and I need to order a replacement and have no idea what to look for. I appreciate any help. I'm just learning that there's a power steering fluid cooler as well and unfortunately I have to replace that also. The total for the hood, grill, bumper cover, radiator, power steering fluid cooler and who knows what else is getting up there. Anything else in the front end that I should look at or replace? A 4 inch thick brach basically torpedoed through the front end and another branch dented the hood. I guess I should be thankful it didn't bounce around my engine at all. Any suggestions on part sources would be appreciated as well. I'm the second picture you can see both.

Attachments

• IMG_20240709_084244915_HDR~3.jpg
    IMG_20240709_084244915_HDR~3.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240709_084235689_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240709_084235689_HDR.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 5

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Hello all, I hope your 4th of July was good. I have a question regarding my radiator. I had a branch launched through my grill while driving and it of course trashed my radiator. I knew I had one of those little transmission coolers aside from my primary radiator because I have the tow package but now I'm taking inventory of what I need to get my Tahoe back on the road and I'm seeing that there is actually a separate radiator that mounts on the front side of the frame right in front of my primary radiator and my little transmission radiator is on the front of that. What is the extra radiator? I'm trying to figure out how to look it up to learn what I can and I need to order a replacement and have no idea what to look for. I appreciate any help. I'm just learning that there's a power steering fluid cooler as well and unfortunately I have to replace that also. The total for the hood, grill, bumper cover, radiator, power steering fluid cooler and who knows what else is getting up there. Anything else in the front end that I should look at or replace? A 4 inch thick brach basically torpedoed through the front end and another branch dented the hood. I guess I should be thankful it didn't bounce around my engine at all. Any suggestions on part sources would be appreciated as well. I'm the second picture you can see both.
I got my radiator from advance auto the transmission cooler I would replace with a tru cool 40k cooler it’s way better then the factory one
The bumper and grill is usually one solid piece and a junk yard would be the best option for that and the hood and have it painted to match

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer man. Sorry that happened :-(

In order from front to back are: 1/ transmission cooler 2/ AC condenser 3/ radiator. Best place to buy is Rock Auto. For the radiator, OEM is Denso so I'd buy that one. The AC condenser is a bigger job than just replacing it because you have to draw a vacuum on the system and have the full gauge set and scale to recharge it by weight. Might be better to replace the condenser yourself, install it and then have a shop deal with the r134a. Might as well replace the radiator hoses, heater hoses and the coolant tees back at the firewall because they're a common failure point. Much easier to do when you have the system empty. Also check to make sure the cooling fans and shroud are solid.

OP
OP
J

Just00Jake

Reaction score
Bummer man. Sorry that happened :-(

In order from front to back are: 1/ transmission cooler 2/ AC condenser 3/ radiator. Best place to buy is Rock Auto. For the radiator, OEM is Denso so I'd buy that one. The AC condenser is a bigger job than just replacing it because you have to draw a vacuum on the system and have the full gauge set and scale to recharge it by weight. Might be better to replace the condenser yourself, install it and then have a shop deal with the r134a. Might as well replace the radiator hoses, heater hoses and the coolant tees back at the firewall because they're a common failure point. Much easier to do when you have the system empty. Also check to make sure the cooling fans and shroud are solid.
Great to hear from you Geotrash, thank you for your input. Actually the fans and shroud are getting replaced as well. They were reduced to a pile of bits and pieces that would fit in my hand. It send like when I work through an issue on this Tahoe (haven't had any simple issues) it doesn't take long for a new one to develope. That's not a dig on the Tahoe, I just put a lot of miles on it or I cross paths with someone who wants to donate tree limbs to me. I've used Rock Auto before. Is PartsGeek any good? Also I'd appreciate your recommendation on sourcing the hood, grill and bumper cover. I've looked a little and believe in going to opt for the "primed/ ready to paint" parts and paint them all myself. The price difference is crazy. Body shop painters must do pretty well. I have yet to pull anything more than what was hanging off. Is there anything as far as the body parts (other than what obviously broken) that you would recommend me being critical of or just replacing while I'm at it? Thank again Geotrash

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great to hear from you Geotrash, thank you for your input. Actually the fans and shroud are getting replaced as well. They were reduced to a pile of bits and pieces that would fit in my hand. It send like when I work through an issue on this Tahoe (haven't had any simple issues) it doesn't take long for a new one to develope. That's not a dig on the Tahoe, I just put a lot of miles on it or I cross paths with someone who wants to donate tree limbs to me. I've used Rock Auto before. Is PartsGeek any good? Also I'd appreciate your recommendation on sourcing the hood, grill and bumper cover. I've looked a little and believe in going to opt for the "primed/ ready to paint" parts and paint them all myself. The price difference is crazy. Body shop painters must do pretty well. I have yet to pull anything more than what was hanging off. Is there anything as far as the body parts (other than what obviously broken) that you would recommend me being critical of or just replacing while I'm at it? Thank again Geotrash

PartsGeek isn't terrible, but I would search RockAuto for the parts needed, then search those part numbers in the Google machine to see what pops up, and if any sites are offering sales/discounts that make the parts worth it to buy there. It may only be me, but I've never found OartsGeek to have the lowest prices.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PartsGeek isn't terrible, but I would search RockAuto for the parts needed, then search those part numbers in the Google machine to see what pops up, and if any sites are offering sales/discounts that make the parts worth it to buy there. It may only be me, but I've never found OartsGeek to have the lowest prices.
Supply chain integrity is the reason I choose Rock Auto, or a local parts store. Beware Amazon and eBay sellers passing off counterfeits as originals.

OP
OP
J

Just00Jake

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the help. I did have a question on the radiator since there are 15 different versions. I see a few that come with the engine oil cooler, is that a built in upgrade opposed to a separate add on? Because I am only seeing 1 unit when it says "radiator w/engine oil cooler" and is it recommended to get this option? I don't think it would be a bad thing to cool the oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triton2690