2014 Suburban Electrical gremlins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those are voltage tests.

Good voltage DROP tests should be very low, not B+ voltage. The point is to read the "potential" between two contact points that should have a very low difference. So loading the circuit and reading the voltage between the two contact points (positive to positive; and negative to negative).

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was kind of my thought. I found the oem replacement cable for $64 on amazon but dont want to continue guessing.

I just did 2 voltage drop tests starting the truck.
1) from the positive battery terminal to the engine block ground at the cylinder head. Result was Max 14.9 volts and min 10.68.
2) from the negative battery terminal to the ring terminal at the end of the starter positive cable at the starter. Max was also 14.84 and min was 10.4.

This doesn't seem like a meaningful difference does it?

My next step is to drop the dome light housing and look around in there. Fingers crossed I dont break the plastic ;)
technically 10.4 at the starter is a fail, but unless it's not starting properly then that is probably not the problem
gm considers 10.5v to be the bare minimum
I would move on from the starter cable for now and poke around elsewhere

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tonyr56

Latest posts