2015 Yukon Denali - Engine Failure - Sell or Fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scud509

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all! First time poster. We own a 2015 Yukon Denali with 125k miles. Up to date on maintenance and always ran premium 93 gas. Wife was driving when engine failed - shaking, and internal engine loud clanking. Mechanic took engine head off and said engine is completely shot (failed valve that dropped something into lower part of engine. Antifreeze also leaked into engine?). Apparently a known issue and it will need a full engine replacement. No new ones available but can source a used 6.2L with 110k miles (12 month warranty). Estimated cost is $12,000 to replace. Car is worth $20,000 +/- from my research as it has all features. Seems like others have had similar engine issues on here. I’ve had other issues with the car and am debating just selling it as-is and moving on. New struts for the second time were just put on.

Questions:
1. Does $12k seem right? Used engines seem to be $5-6k on eBay. He estimated 30hrs of labor
2. Would you think it would be better to fix then sell or sell outright as-is?
3. What do you think it is worth as-is and how do you find a buyer?

Thanks for any insight!!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12k seems like a lot but everything seems to. I guess the question is how much you like this truck. You’re at the age and mileage where things need service.
Have you checked other engine builders? There are quite a few sources for remanufactured engines with 3 to 5 year warranties and zero miles.
Selling a rig with a bad engine is hard but there are people out there looking for them.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where located. 9 year old SUV up here in the rust belt is probably a hard sell with a blown engine. Southern machine in nice shape would be easier to unload I think. If I were keeping it I'd look for a rebuilt or new long block motor replacement.

15burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get more then one quote to compare. A tow to another shop is worth it to save thousands. I haven't had the pleasure of yanking our 5.3 yet but 30 hours seems a bit high to me to remove and throw a new or used one in.

In my area it seems like shops are pretty busy since new vehicle prices are pretty high. Possibly some of them throw out a high estimate. If they get the job great. If they don't they have numerous other vehicles coming in to work on.

Location and rust. If it's not rust free and good shape you probably won't get much as it sits.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... 2015 Yukon Denali 125k miles. Up to date on maintenance and always ran premium 93 ... engine failed ... Mechanic took engine head off and said engine is completely shot ... need a full engine replacement. No new ones available but can source a used 6.2L with 110k miles (12 month warranty). Estimated cost is $12,000 to replace. Car is worth $20,000 +/- from my research as it has all features. Seems like others have had similar engine issues on here. I’ve had other issues with the car and am debating just selling it as-is and moving on.

Questions:
1. Does $12k seem right? Used engines seem to be $5-6k on eBay. He estimated 30hrs of labor
2. Would you think it would be better to fix then sell or sell outright as-is?
3. What do you think it is worth as-is and how do you find a buyer?
You will NOT get back the parts-plus-labor costs of removing & replacing an engine unless you keep the vehicle and use the replacement engine.
Sell outright as-is, mechanic's special.

OP
OP
S

Scud509

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all. Located in NC and vehicle is in great shape. Going to list for sale. Any thoughts on what I could expect to get? Looks like similar comps are listed in the low $20ks.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd take KBB, or comps, and deduct 8k from the price with a disclaimer as to the discount. Then there is haggle room and both parties will feel good about it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Located in NC and vehicle is in great shape. Going to list for sale. Any thoughts on what I could expect to get? Looks like similar comps are listed in the low $20ks.
your not going to get much for it, that's a given.
I would get my calculator out and start counting beans for of cost of replacment vehicle - versus- cost to repair exisiting vehicle.
if money is not a factor then just donate it to a local college or school vehicle repair training program which is excalty where you "might" get it fixed cheaper anyway.
my sister used to take her car to the local college and have students work on it, took longer time but the cost was a fraction of what a repair shop would charge, basically it was parts cost and the students got credit for there work. that would of course depend on if there was such a program in your area.
to find out just insert your (city+vehicle repair training) into google search.

15burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Selling it as is limits your buyers by a lot. It's worth a shot I guess. I just don't see a lot of people willing to spend $10k+ on a vehicle and then drop another $8-12k replacing the engine if that's the going rate in your area. Now if a guy (buyer) can replace it himself he could save some money at the risk (your word) that the transmission and everything else works that can't be tested. Not saying you're that type of person, but there are a lot of those type of people out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dexmann1