2016 Tahoe - keep or trade in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGsHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My LT has 103xxx miles on it & just had to get a new transmission, and about 2 years ago had to get the top end of the engine replaced or fixed??? I'm not mechanically savvy so please forgive LOL

With that said, what do you all think? Keep it or trade it in?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LT has 103xxx miles on it & just had to get a new transmission, and about 2 years ago had to get the top end of the engine replaced or fixed??? I'm not mechanically savvy so please forgive LOL

Well, if you like the truck and no car payments, it will provide many more years of service. If you want something new and don't mind a car payment, trade it in.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I got 159K miles on my 2016 Hoe. Put a new transmission in,new A/C Condenser,new Thermostat [after my cooling fans went berserk recently] and new Brake Booster. Not that mechanically savvy either but it's paid for so have no intentions of selling it. I take a lot of long distance trips with it. I will just fix things as they come up.

With that said I vote to keep it!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got the big ticket items done. Just drive it, learn from group on how to make those repairs less necessary/ go away and run it. Why get into another payment and give somebody else a good vehicle for pennies on the dollar?

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 crystal white Escalade Lux in perfect condition with no flaws. The truck has 97k miles and had the passenger lifters replaced last fall as well as the windshield with OEM part. I just replaced the front seat leather bottoms and foam OEM 2 months ago. I found on eBay for the 2nd row captain seats new leather take offs from another Escalade. My seats and armrest are brand new. I just replaced the front struts from the dealer and AGM battery. There is not a scratch or dent and the body looks like it just came off the factory floor. I plan on keeping my truck for a real long time and I am using my 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE not to run up my miles rapidly. I love that the k2xx has the solid axle vs the independent rear suspension. I consider the k2xx a 1500 truck. I also don’t like the new 2021+ because of the size which had to be bigger for the rear suspension. I drove the 2021+ for a week and it felt like driving a Expedition.

OP
OP
DGsHoe

DGsHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm wanting to keep it but concerned about other random issues..

Shakes when 65+ mph but have read thru posts here and am going to try balance/rotate as first step.

Also have random issues like door locks not working intermittently, cruise control turning off when I get a text and CarPlay is running, crazy little stuff like that.

Borrowed_Time068

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Shakes when 65+ mph but have read thru posts here and am going to try balance/rotate as first step.

Also have random issues like door locks not working intermittently, cruise control turning off when I get a text and CarPlay is running, crazy little stuff like that.
My 2016 Yukon with 103k is getting the transmission rebuilt as we speak. Been in the shop for over a week. They are also looking into a bad vibration at 75 MPH. Could be torque converter but they are checking a few other things including driveshaft while it’s there. After spending 6k on it, I’d hope to solve the vibration as well. Road force balance did nothing to correct the vibration. Biggest money pit vehicle I’ve ever owned.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score

You didn’t mention specifically the word battery. I had a 16 that would do weird electrical tricks but once the battery was replaced, they all disappeared for good. (See what I did)

Example, right front window would only go all the way up once pressed unless I toggled it. New battery, I could stop it anytime I wished.

ChapSkip

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have a 2016 Tahoe that I purchased in June of 2020 with 77K miles. Since then, replaced tranny, AC and front end. HOWEVER, it now has 286,100 miles and looks and runs like new. I will drive it until I can't or it can't :)

Redfish5050

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

If you’re having problems balancing the tires, find a shop that has a “road force balancer”. It’s the only way, and it’s done right with just one try. I just went through it with a new set of 22” Michelins on my 2016 LTZ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jlauto

Latest posts