Would you keep your existing truck or get a new one in this situation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88m53453

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Story starts here:

TLDR version - I bought a 2021 Yukon XL Denali, two engines blew up and a third issue, so GM purchased the vehicle back. I bought a 2023 Yukon XL Denali, 3 days after purchase it had an electrical issue and sat in the shop for 40 days, then needed a new engine at 11,552 miles, and is now at the shop a 3rd time because the radio needs replaced because of Android Auto issues.

The truck is my daily driver, I put my kids in it and it is great for road trips, etc. I plan to keep whatever vehicle for quite some time.

I have looked at other vehicles, but none give me the same feeling of reliability, comfort, and size that this one does based on customer reviews (I know, funny to mention reliability in this post), i.e a Navigator or Wagoneer.

Which option would you select in this situation:

1) Keep the 2023, which has a new engine in it. GMC also has provided a 7 yr/100k bumper-to-bumper warranty (not called that, but pretty much what it is) on the vehicle directly through GM. This is NOT an extended warranty like EasyCare, but a direct warranty. Downside - the value of the vehicle is tanked. There are 6 years-ish left on the warranty.

2) Give GM the 2023 back, get a new 2024 or other vehicle and live with the standard new car warranty. Downside - no dealer extended warranty and would have to purchase a 3rd party one which will not cover as much.

Thoughts?
I’ve got a 2015 Silverado with 277k on it, one replacement trans about 40k ago and threads like this keep me from getting a newer truck. Best of luck , I’d keep what you have

NELLY1947

Reaction score
Story starts here:

TLDR version - I bought a 2021 Yukon XL Denali, two engines blew up and a third issue, so GM purchased the vehicle back. I bought a 2023 Yukon XL Denali, 3 days after purchase it had an electrical issue and sat in the shop for 40 days, then needed a new engine at 11,552 miles, and is now at the shop a 3rd time because the radio needs replaced because of Android Auto issues.

The truck is my daily driver, I put my kids in it and it is great for road trips, etc. I plan to keep whatever vehicle for quite some time.

I have looked at other vehicles, but none give me the same feeling of reliability, comfort, and size that this one does based on customer reviews (I know, funny to mention reliability in this post), i.e a Navigator or Wagoneer.

Which option would you select in this situation:

1) Keep the 2023, which has a new engine in it. GMC also has provided a 7 yr/100k bumper-to-bumper warranty (not called that, but pretty much what it is) on the vehicle directly through GM. This is NOT an extended warranty like EasyCare, but a direct warranty. Downside - the value of the vehicle is tanked. There are 6 years-ish left on the warranty.

2) Give GM the 2023 back, get a new 2024 or other vehicle and live with the standard new car warranty. Downside - no dealer extended warranty and would have to purchase a 3rd party one which will not cover as much.

Thoughts?
WOW and I thought I beat the crap out of my trucks... Sorry had to say thar. Don't that it wrong..
Personally if they are going to take the second one back and refund you then that is what I would do
Get the diesel with the extended warranty. If you are using this truck every day you will burn through the 100k in no time. You are so lucky in the US cause in Canada we don't have great lemon laws. Also why I say to swap... car fax has all the history. Imagine in 4,5,6 years no one will buy that unit. The only way you will not do the 100k is with a blocker if you can find one.

Rangerdeepv

Reaction score
I would demand a new one with the D'max. Not trusting a vehicle is not worth the lost sleep.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why GM hasn't been able to find the cause, other than power train failure, recall and fix it. It seems like most of the 2023 6.2's we have, all the engines have been replaced, at least once. We have a couple of 24's with 6.2's, so far, so good, the highest mileage 24 has a little over 40k on it already, almost all mid-western flats miles, not many grades, and highway speeds. The 6.2 used to be a workhorse, could get 300k out of one easily.

PPK_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a '16 F150 that had four oil pans on it.. for starters.. i got rid of it at 35k. It was going to put me in the hospital. just worrying what was to come since i needed that ride to work each day. i have a '23 Tahoe and a '22 F150. I have anywhere far to go.. i always take the tahoe. They are good machines.. even if you had trouble.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing from the "Big 3" that I would buy that isnt a diesel... Especially ANYTHING from Mopar/Stellantis.

You are in a tough situation. But you do have a big warranty. But how much warm and fuzzies is that going to give you when you are on a long trip, with your family?

Its all going to come down to what you feel comfortable with.

GM's quality control, and ongoing issues electronically, and mechanically, is the reason I jumped ship to a EV....

And here I sit in a rental, cause my EV is in the shop! Nothing right now gives me the warm and fuzzies.

If I had to go buy something today... I would likely look at a Toyota Sequoia with a V8.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably would've went to Japan but the bumper to bumper for 100k isn't bad either. I feel you will use that more than once and will make up for itself overtime.

BacDoc

Reaction score
I probably would've went to Japan but the bumper to bumper for 100k isn't bad either. I feel you will use that more than once and will make up for itself overtime.
With all the issues Toyota and Lexus is having that’s like jumping from pan to fire lol!

I think you made the right choice as the extended warranty on a beautiful vehicle is worth a lot. They say probability has no memory but just like Heli skiing in Alaska - most times you score but some trips the weather doesn’t permit flying. Sucks especially after paying $8k for 4 days and they don’t refund for nothing.

But that next trip could be epic!!

Well maybe not the best analogy but your luck is gonna change bro and you will get trouble free performance for the rest of your driving lifetime! You deserve it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24