2016 TAHOE PPV new trans and tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lcerbone2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Need help with this fast please !
Ok so my trans is definitely shot. Started with fluid pressure sensor goin bad and just went from there. My question is, the fact that it’s ppv is there an issue with whatever “tune” that these tahoes may have ? one of techs said that these trans have computers that have to be paired with engine pc. ? And if it has any police package tune that it would mess Things up. ? Any truth to this or something like it ? Need my Tahoe back fast and don’t want to deal with that lol. I also have new lifters dod deleted. It’s 2WD i also have a friend who owns a caddy Chevy dealer and his techs never heard of that and if true they cannot get it back ? Again have no idea what’s what now IMG_2948.jpeg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so my trans is definitely shot. Started with fluid pressure sensor goin bad and just went from there. My question is, the fact that it’s ppv is there an issue with whatever “tune” that these tahoes may have ? one of techs said that these trans have computers that have to be paired with engine pc. ? And if it has any police package tune that it would mess Things up. ? Any truth to this or something like it ? Need my Tahoe back fast and don’t want to deal with that lol. I also have new lifters dod deleted. It’s 2WD i also have a friend who owns a caddy Chevy dealer and his techs never heard of that and if true they cannot get it back ? Again have no idea what’s what now View attachment 433909
Any tune for the trans is in the TCM so if the TCM is changed then it will just be a stock transmission tune, pretty sure that has no bearing on anything else. ECM & TCM tunes are seperate. If they change the TCM then I would just have it tuned at a later point.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so my trans is definitely shot. Started with fluid pressure sensor goin bad and just went from there. My question is, the fact that it’s ppv is there an issue with whatever “tune” that these tahoes may have ? one of techs said that these trans have computers that have to be paired with engine pc. ? And if it has any police package tune that it would mess Things up. ? Any truth to this or something like it ? Need my Tahoe back fast and don’t want to deal with that lol. I also have new lifters dod deleted. It’s 2WD i also have a friend who owns a caddy Chevy dealer and his techs never heard of that and if true they cannot get it back ? Again have no idea what’s what now
In the off-chance you read this, you'll need to have the THECM (the transmission's control module) programmed per the operating software version that was loaded at the factory for your vehicle. That can be cross-referenced by way of the last 8 digits of the VIN and part number on the TEHCM inside the unit now. Note that the trans temp sensor is integrated into the TEHCM so if it's no good, the TEHCM has to be replaced.

Where are you getting the new transmission? Is it from GM? If so, you just stab it, fill with fluid to the proper level and go...no need for any programming or fast adapt relearns. They come ready to fly out of the box. If from another reman company, you'll need to check with them and provide your VIN so they can get it set up correctly (fast adapt relearn may or may not be needed - check w/the reman company).

If you're taking it to an independent transmission shop, they'll tend to those details. Just hand them the keys and pick it up once it's done.

Advise of the AFM/DOD delete to whomever you talk to so they're aware...

OP
OP
L

Lcerbone2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In the off-chance you read this, you'll need to have the THECM (the transmission's control module) programmed per the operating software version that was loaded at the factory for your vehicle. That can be cross-referenced by way of the last 8 digits of the VIN and part number on the TEHCM inside the unit now. Note that the trans temp sensor is integrated into the TEHCM so if it's no good, the TEHCM has to be replaced.

Where are you getting the new transmission? Is it from GM? If so, you just stab it, fill with fluid to the proper level and go...no need for any programming or fast adapt relearns. They come ready to fly out of the box. If from another reman company, you'll need to check with them and provide your VIN so they can get it set up correctly (fast adapt relearn may or may not be needed - check w/the reman company).

If you're taking it to an independent transmission shop, they'll tend to those details. Just hand them the keys and pick it up once it's done.

Advise of the AFM/DOD delete to whomever you talk to so they're aware...
Thx guys. That’s exactly what i need

OP
OP
L

Lcerbone2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions
Thank you for that. Ok so called two shops. One of them def knew that these trans had issues and the trans he puts in has upgrade with the parts that are the root of problem has 3 year warranty they are the oem trans built with better parts new torque converter also upgraded the drum gears etc. anyhow he’s 4900 All in. Other guy buys trans reman from “trans America “ he claims but doesn’t know for sure that they also have upgrade parts. I will
Call to check for my self and see. Anyone ever hear of trams America? He was 4200 3 year warranty as well he said it bolts it

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions
Thank you for that. Ok so called two shops. One of them def knew that these trans had issues and the trans he puts in has upgrade with the parts that are the root of problem has 3 year warranty they are the oem trans built with better parts new torque converter also upgraded the drum gears etc. anyhow he’s 4900 All in. Other guy buys trans reman from “trans America “ he claims but doesn’t know for sure that they also have upgrade parts. I will
Call to check for my self and see. Anyone ever hear of trams America? He was 4200 3 year warranty as well he said it bolts it
What parts are upgraded, per each transmission (rebuilt, Trans America) and what are the specific upgrades?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beniskickbutt

Latest posts