2018 Yukon Denali grinding/knocking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Engineered

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Reporting back. Went under the truck and tried to pry on the rack and diff mounts. Retorqued. All seem tight. Noise still there.

While I was under there I grabbed the stub shaft that connects to the CV Axles. The stub shaft on passenger side has a small amount of in and out movement and no up down left right movement. The drivers side has the same in and out movement, but also has a couple millimeters or about an 1/16th to an 1/8th of up down left right movement.

Thoughts on this?
Thank you

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reporting back. Went under the truck and tried to pry on the rack and diff mounts. Retorqued. All seem tight. Noise still there.

While I was under there I grabbed the stub shaft that connects to the CV Axles. The stub shaft on passenger side has a small amount of in and out movement and no up down left right movement. The drivers side has the same in and out movement, but also has a couple millimeters or about an 1/16th to an 1/8th of up down left right movement.

Thoughts on this?
Thank you
That's quite a bit of play in the bearing. Should be tight with no up/down movement. Slight in and out movement is okay. Hard to say if that's enough play to be your problem, but it does tell me that you have a worn bearing on that side of your diff that should be replaced anyway. You can do it on the bench, but for differential work on these trucks, I like to take it to a shop because I'm getting old and lazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwoods8

Latest posts