2021 Cadillac Escalade Drivetrain Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shellbuck1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi this just happened in my 2021 Cadillac was 10-8-24 . Was driving brakes locked up, lost power steering, brakes called on star listening to there message for over 16 min no reply called back same was able to call my son and he was able to get me a tow truck. Tow truck driver couldn’t get it in nutral to get on flat bed so had to drag it on and off bed . Dealership said I was on empty which I just topped off my gas 80 miles before and didn’t smell any gas so my truck is 5 hrs away and Gm can deal with it only 25,000 miles on it . My power windows and radio worked but when trying to restart was a horrible noise. I’m really shook up still but if this problem really needs to be addressed. There was a recall notice that was sent out to certain ones said my vin dosent apply to that. Idk anything about what happens afterwards would be greatly appreciated. Hope this doesn’t keep happening to people

OP
OP
S

Shellbuck1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Actually they are changing the fuel modular.. did see a form that some of the 2021 models were called in for recall but not mine

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This doesn't quite seem like it describes the symptoms you had...you mentioned brakes locking up, and loss of power steering and brakes? (Not sure how brakes lock up and then you lose them altogether), but maybe you mean you lost power brakes?

Sounds more like an ABS control module or some other electrical issue. If, when trying to restart it made a horrible noise, you may have lost the engine (lifters or crank shaft?). Anyway, glad you are safe...the vehicle locking the brakes up on you is NOT good...that would rattle me too. Keep us informed on what the issue gets diagnosed to be.

OP
OP
S

Shellbuck1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This doesn't quite seem like it describes the symptoms you had...you mentioned brakes locking up, and loss of power steering and brakes? (Not sure how brakes lock up and then you lose them altogether), but maybe you mean you lost power brakes?

Sounds more like an ABS control module or some other electrical issue. If, when trying to restart it made a horrible noise, you may have lost the engine (lifters or crank shaft?). Anyway, glad you are safe...the vehicle locking the brakes up on you is NOT good...that would rattle me too. Keep us informed on what the issue gets diagnosed to be.
There was a recall but my vehicles vin was not in that recall they are replacing the fuel pump power control module. And yes had no front brakes went straight to floor I did not know but yes only reason I got stopped was because my back wheels were locked up . Tow truck driver also couldn’t get it into neutral dragging it on and off the flat bed everything shut down although could manually steer . Windows rolled down and radio turned back on when trying to restart and there was a horrible engine sound . On your forum someone else had this happen and onstar never answered me either was on hold due to high call volume and they would be with me shortly. I called my son told him where I was and he called me help

Attachments

• IMG_7569.png
    IMG_7569.png
    758.5 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
S

Shellbuck1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There was a recall but my vehicles vin was not in that recall they are replacing the fuel pump power control module. And yes had no front brakes went straight to floor I did not know but yes only reason I got stopped was because my back wheels were locked up . Tow truck driver also couldn’t get it into neutral dragging it on and off the flat bed everything shut down although could manually steer . Windows rolled down and radio turned back on when trying to restart and there was a horrible engine sound . On your forum someone else had this happen and onstar never answered me either was on hold due to high call volume and they would be with me shortly. I called my son told him where I was and he called me help

Attachments

• IMG_7581.jpeg
    IMG_7581.jpeg
    476.9 KB · Views: 6

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, agree that you likely had Fuel Pump Module failure...at least that is what it seems. That is a known issue. It makes sense as well that the tow drive cannot get it into neutral. That is a defect of the design, you cannot shift if the vehicle is not running...so that makes sense if you could not start it.

But, it makes no sense that brakes failed (no front brakes)...Unless you also had an issue w/ the master cylinder, ABS module, ABS Pump, etc...so, if the only thing the dealer did was replace the Fuel Pump Module, you likely still have a brake issue. The two systems are not connected. Brake boost on these vehicles is electric, so if you had battery, you should have been good.

OP
OP
S

Shellbuck1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They are still working on it . Want showing any gas in there either which I filled up maybe 60 miles before this happened. At dealership they finally after 45 min got it running drove into shop and just kept dying so there’s probably more going on then I know but will keep everyone informed. I’m still pretty shook up it’s a very scary thing to happen and at the time I was breaking I had no idea that my back tires were locked up I was just jerking and hanging on to the steering wheel praying I could stop and be safe. I live in Minnesota and was going to Canada to meet up with my husband to go fishing almost made it probably another 45 min . Wasn’t in my familiar surroundings cell service was going to sos to a bar on my cell thank god my son got help for me for he’s been there before. I thank god I’m alive and wasn’t snowing yet and my dog is okay because it could have been a lot different outcome. Walley appreciate your feedback thanks for responding and yes was going to go walleye fishing WAS”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbruton89

Latest posts