2022 Yukon Denali XL completely shut off while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madamei

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I never been posted on any forum for car until now. I have yukon denali XL 2022 with all updated services. I was driving on highway way on 9/15/24 at 7pm and the car engine is shut off completely while driving on highway. I try to use the SOS button & OnStar button and they keep saying “wait for the next available person” for about 15 minutes. Im really disappointed with this feature and im completely scared with 3 kids inside the car in the middle of highway! (If I have an accident and to wait for the next available person to respond, I probably already long gone before they answer!!) Sorry let’s back to what is happening after that. I can’t start the car, I can’t move it. I endup call the tow company that I google. The car still can’t start but you can open and close the window. Is this happened to anyone else here? And what is the problem of that? Is that malfunction manufactured? Please share your thoughts. Thank you and I hope it will never happen with you guys.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I never been posted on any forum for car until now. I have yukon denali XL 2022 with all updated services. I was driving on highway way on 9/15/24 at 7pm and the car engine is shut off completely while driving on highway. I try to use the SOS button & OnStar button and they keep saying “wait for the next available person” for about 15 minutes. Im really disappointed with this feature and im completely scared with 3 kids inside the car in the middle of highway! (If I have an accident and to wait for the next available person to respond, I probably already long gone before they answer!!) Sorry let’s back to what is happening after that. I can’t start the car, I can’t move it. I endup call the tow company that I google. The car still can’t start but you can open and close the window. Is this happened to anyone else here? And what is the problem of that? Is that malfunction manufactured? Please share your thoughts. Thank you and I hope it will never happen with you guys.
Get it towed to dealer and have it diagnosed. There are a couple known shortcomings, the most likely is bad fuel pump module, but there are also reported main and rod bearing fails, and lifter fails; both of which would necessitate an engine replacement. Your dealer will sort it out.

Might want to report the long waits to OnStar, as the SOS button is supposed to get you through really fast...

Hope nobody was hurt, hope you got off the road safe, and hope they find the issue. Do come back and tell us how it went.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never could understand why pay for OnStar when I have a phone.

Padraig
Because when you're smashed up against the steering wheel and your phone is in the back of the vehicle due to impact it can tell the authorities where you are. Doesn't that seem important?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh my. I guess i need a bubble to enclose me.

Padraig
The point is the service is offered and applied to the vehicle as a safety net in case you are completely incapacitated. This may have value to some and not to others. You have made it clear it has no value to you. For others, the security of knowing they, their wife, their children will get help if they are incapacitated is worth the annual fee. The other benefits are around stolen vehicle assistance (OnStar can completely shut your rig down remotely if you ask, help you locate it, etc). To some, these features bring value, and they are willing to pay. Some are not, and that is completely ok.

Bubble wrap will likely work too, it is just a little more labor intensive -- and could be more expensive and time consuming over a year's time than an OnStar subscription.

Sean Michael

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did the vehicle have crank with no start? My fuel pump control module went out while driving on the freeway, came out of nowhere with no warning. When I tried to restart the truck on the side of the road, it'd crank like normal and sounded like the motor was turning via the starter just fine, but it never fired up. As mentioned, it ended up being a faulty fuel pump control module so the motor was not receiving fuel. Dealer told me if it was the crank bearing (it's the 6.2) or lifters it would not have sounded normal while cranking, or might even be seized up completely and unable to turn via the starter. They only had the truck for a day and it's been running fine with a new FPCM since then (that was last week, fingers crossed).

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the vehicle have crank with no start? My fuel pump control module went out while driving on the freeway, came out of nowhere with no warning. When I tried to restart the truck on the side of the road, it'd crank like normal and sounded like the motor was turning via the starter just fine, but it never fired up. As mentioned, it ended up being a faulty fuel pump control module so the motor was not receiving fuel. Dealer told me if it was the crank bearing (it's the 6.2) or lifters it would not have sounded normal while cranking, or might even be seized up completely and unable to turn via the starter. They only had the truck for a day and it's been running fine with a new FPCM since then (that was last week, fingers crossed).
Facts right here...

Fuel Pump Issues have plagued a lot of GM vehicles lately...interwebs full of cases with that happening.

Sean Michael

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Facts right here...

Fuel Pump Issues have plagued a lot of GM vehicles lately...interwebs full of cases with that happening.
I hadn't heard anything about it beforehand, everyone's attention online seemed fixated on the lifters or the 6.2's crank bearings. But when it happened to me and after a quick web search, now I'm seeing all kinds of forum complaints and YT videos about the fuel pump control module in GM vehicles. In hindsight, it seems like a much more common issue than I would've guessed before it happened to me.

On the brightside, a failed FPCM seems like relatively simple fix compared to the engine-destroying crank bearing issue or failed lifters. Dealership only had my truck for a day, and from what I see on YouTube, the FPCM is a little black box above the spare tire that gets switched out, but it does need to be programed. But, the end result was still being stranded on the side of the road waiting on the tow truck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
58caddy