229k on 2003 XL Denali maintenance tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBTJ

Reaction score
I'm not forgetting anything. I know how the machine works. Sorry if my description of the T-tech wasn't clear. The machine we used ONLY uses the trans fluid. It does not use any external fluid or detergents. You pump the cylinder with new ATF and when the car pumps fluid towards the cooler it goes through the machine and pushes the cylinder which in turn pushes new fluid into the cooler. No extra detergents, no extra fluids.

I'm glad you've had good results with your method. The T-tech does exactly what you are doing. Old out. New in. No external power. No extra detergents. The machine just makes your way closer to idiot proof by connecting right to the cooler lines and using the car's own pump.

Like Sasquatch, we had people with old smelly dirty ATF insist on pan drops and just changing that relatively small amount of fluid caused more problems than it fixed.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Because the fluid is a good red and smells/feels clean, I am going to at least drop the pan and replace the filter while doing your external filter mod. I will also do the maintenance from one of Jay's posts with the new accumulator pistons, boost valve, separator plate, and PWM delete valve. Hopefully this will all lead to a longer trans life.

:sorry:, I guess I'm confused then. You don't have access to the machine anymore, so that doesn't matter, your fluid is not dark and smelly, so that no longer matters, your fluid is red smells and feels clean, so what is the issue with not replacing all the fluid and just what's in the pan? In the link you posted Jay said it should be changed. Sasquatch said it should be changed. Why not change it all?

OP
OP
S

StickerShockPDX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Honestly, fear. Given the slightest chance of killing the transmission, I can't pony up the cost of a rebuild or replacement right now. I'm sure I will change it all when I do the mods. No sense in replacing the pan filter for maybe the last time when adding your external mod and not running all new fluid. I just really don't want to mess things up.

I don't have access to the machine, I just wanted to be clear that it was not a power flush that we were doing when using it may have caused trouble. I have no history on my truck so I am just being cautious.

So where do you find the micron filtration and the flow rate on the spin on filters? If I'm doing the external mod I obviously want a good filter on there. Looking at random filters I don't know where to find this data. And also the hose made for trans fluid?

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never use a TTech on a very high mileage car.

I used to do them when I worked at a shop.

Major chance of problems

OP
OP
S

StickerShockPDX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't have access to the T-tech anyhow, but using the method of disconnecting the line and letting the car pump out some fluid and then adding through the dipstick tube does the same thing. Unless the t-tech has changed since I've used it there is no external force involved.

The fluid looks, smells and feels fine. It's not dirty and burnt. I am leery to change it all because I don't know when it was changed last.

JBTJ

Reaction score
Honestly, fear. Given the slightest chance of killing the transmission, I can't pony up the cost of a rebuild or replacement right now. I'm sure I will change it all when I do the mods. No sense in replacing the pan filter for maybe the last time when adding your external mod and not running all new fluid. I just really don't want to mess things up.

I don't have access to the machine, I just wanted to be clear that it was not a power flush that we were doing when using it may have caused trouble. I have no history on my truck so I am just being cautious.

So where do you find the micron filtration and the flow rate on the spin on filters? If I'm doing the external mod I obviously want a good filter on there. Looking at random filters I don't know where to find this data. And also the hose made for trans fluid?

I understand how you feel and don't blame you at all. But I really don't see how you would have a problem, and you shouldn't worry about it. With the condition of the fluid you described (GOOD) I would say you have a 1 in 900 billion chance of it ruining the transmission. By not changing the fluid you will have a much much high chance of your transmission dying.

I bought a 04 Tahoe with just under 120k. The PO never changed the fluid so it was a dark brown to black. I pumped thru 16 quarts of ATF to where the fluid coming out was the same color going in. Guess what? No problems at all. Transmission shifts much smoother now.

Most oil filters can filter down to 21~19 micron range. The best filter I have been able to find is a hydraulic filter from NAPA p/n 1269 that filters down to 10 microns and flow 7~9GPM which is more that the transmission pumps. http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wix-oil-filters/51269.html
I also bought the transmission hose from NAPA 3/8th's ID that is rated for 400PSI and 300 degrees. I used this hose many times and is good stuff.

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that we have the usual transmission flush debate out of the way, what else should he be doing?

Ball joints? Bilstein replacement of Autoride? Bushings? Oil flush? Coil test? Fuel filter?