2nd time Lifter Failure... 2021 Yukon AT4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

I am truly sorry to read about your experience. I'd be really mad, too, if that happened to me.

AngelaBoca

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As a previous Grand Cherokee owner, I was waiting on the Waggoneer also, waiting and waiting and waiting... My GC was getting long in the tooth and was just hitting the point that other owners were having major and expensive problems. By BLIND luck and a lot of internet sleuthing, I happened onto a Dmax in the color I wanted for MSRP. If the waggy was out, I'd have had one. I believe the Denali is the perfect vehicle for my family also. There is no substitute for the room it offers. But I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this Dmax and very thankful not to be facing this lifter issue...
I found this forum when my 21 Escalade had the lifter failure. When it was towed into the dealer my car was number 7 there waiting for the bolt to get the repair done. They had my car for 23 days and the service writer warned me when I picked it up that they only did one bank and it would be highly likely that the other bank would fail as well but GM only allowed the bank that was affected to be changed out. He told me once the other one fails that I should really fight to get the car bought back from GM under the lemon law. I am loyal to the brand and would have loved to buy the diesel model but couldn’t find one when I was purchasing this one. I totaled a 21 Yukon Denali and was why I needed a new car right away and couldn’t wait to find one. As it was we had to go to AZ to buy the Escalade. There were no cars available in CA in February that weren’t 10-20k over sticker. That accident cemented my loyalty to the brand. The car was totaled and no one in the vehicle had a scratch on them. I should note that I got the Yukon in October 2020 and it had 5600 miles on it amd no lifter problems. The Escalade had the lifter problem at 3400 miles.

Aren’t you worried about problems with the first model year with the diesel as well? GM always seems to have problems with the early builds and with the model year changes. My 2015 Yukon Denali that we got in May 2014 had a bunch of minor issues but turned out to be a great car.

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this is the 3rd year for the engine trans combo, so no not worried at all….
I also agree with you about having as much iron around you as possible. I believe this vehicle is one of the safest from a collision on the road…

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just about to post to ask "has anyone had a recurring issue" since mine have been replaced once already.

Going to take a road trip starting next weekend and probably will take my 250K mile 2010 Tahoe that has never had an engine issue.

RottsRoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm now convinced it was not a bad batch but just a design flaw. My Yukon was built in May; lifter failure at 5000 miles. Dealer replaced both banks, all 16 lifters. 500 miles later, lifter failure AGAIN. The 75k pile of sh*t is being towed to dealer again tomorrow. If you are on the fence about getting a 21, just go visit the service bay at your local GMC dealer. Mine had 7 Yukons/Tahoe's currently in for lifter failure. It's definitely not just a small vocal few having this issue.

Plenty of threads on this, but I wanted to let people know, just because you had both banks replaced with the supposed *fixed* batch of lifters, you aren't in the clear.
So frustrating, as this was the perfect vehicle for my family. Now I'm trying to find a Jeep Dealer with an allocation for a Wagoneer.
GM Authority is reporting a rash a lifter failures from their subscribers. Attached is the link to the article. https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/0...sing-amount-of-v8-engine-valve-lifter-issues/

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I follow a good number of mechanics on tiktok. Most of them are very reputable and work for reputable deals. For GM, The 20's and 21's are the worst years for lifter failures and DOD issues. Toyota 4Runners - avoid. They are dropping cranks between 5k & 10kon the 20's and 21s. FCA (dodge/fiat/jeep/etc) have spare transmissions cause the 8 speeds are going to explode...and they are 3-6 months backordered, worse than the GM lifters and 6L80 transmission parts. Ford has electrical and module problems out the wazu. Honda's, Nissan, and a couple others all have module issues.

It doesn't matter the brand you buy. Anything in the 20-21 years is in for issues. And they expect a crap ton more because the cars that have been sitting waiting for the modules with the chip backorder issue, are going to have other issues because the cars have been sitting for a year or more without running

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've had three Grand Cherokees and after putting three rear ends in the last one (every 10,000 miles) we gave up on Jeeps. We had four Jeeps before the Grand Cherokees that were without complaint, but all the GCs had deal breaking design issues but it took me three to finally let it sink in.

Looks like we'll keep our '08 Tahoe on the road as long as possible.

mr27kentrell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2021 sierra elevation 5.3 4x4

2nd time lifters gone out and tension pulley replaced last week in 30days. 22k miles

mr27kentrell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm now convinced it was not a bad batch but just a design flaw. My Yukon was built in May; lifter failure at 5000 miles. Dealer replaced both banks, all 16 lifters. 500 miles later, lifter failure AGAIN. The 75k pile of sh*t is being towed to dealer again tomorrow. If you are on the fence about getting a 21, just go visit the service bay at your local GMC dealer. Mine had 7 Yukons/Tahoe's currently in for lifter failure. It's definitely not just a small vocal few having this issue.

Plenty of threads on this, but I wanted to let people know, just because you had both banks replaced with the supposed *fixed* batch of lifters, you aren't in the clear.
So frustrating, as this was the perfect vehicle for my family. Now I'm trying to find a Jeep Dealer with an allocation for a Wagoneer.

Have to looked it to the lemon law?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
99tahoe46322

Latest posts