3/5 Drop and my Escalade is STILL skying?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ESCA-L8R

ESCA-L8R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
u chopped the bumpstops from the front or rear??? and where r they located??let me know what you do with the rear because i also bought a 3/5 but mine is a djm havent installed it yet because i also have rear air ride shocks so i dont know what to do in the rear???

I chopped out the rear bumpstops. I believe y'all around here call it a "Free Travel Mod" or something like that. It only took a few minutes to do with the plasma cutter, but on the left side you're about 1" away from the plastic gas tank so it's super nerve-wracking.

Like I said, the rear axle was sitting directly on the rear bumpstops after installing the McG's 3/5 kit, so removing the bumpstops is absolutely necessary when dropping that much, otherwise it'll ride like ass and never really settle (until the bumpstop rubbers degrade and fall off someday..) It matters not who's kit you use; if the axle moves closer to the frame the bumpstops (and brackets) gotta go. Trust me, my truck was awful post-drop until I got it off the bumpstops..

And just to clarify, I currently have the McG shocks in the rear, but will be trying to retrofit the original Autoride shocks once I either locate or fabricate some extensions.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Mine sits at 33 inches in the rear and 32 1/2 in the front with stock airride shocks and 24's. Where do you sit?

In the drivers seat, usually. Hurrrrrrr....

I'll measure the ride height tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

I juust read one word, 4wheel parts. A bunch of lazy jackasses work there.

B

In defense of 4 Wheel Parts, they did a fine job with what they were paid to do... My truck was well taken care of, the price was reasonable, and the people I dealt with were professional and courteous. They were "hired" by me to install the new components, and they did that. I wouldn't expect them to pull out the plasma cutter and chop stuff off the frame, and I expect that a fear of litigation would prevent them from ever taking on such a task.

Regarding having the torsion keys cranked all the way up, lets face it; these guys install LIFT kits all day long. I'd crank all keys to the roof too...

4Wheel Parts = good.

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3rd pic looks about right to me... shock extenders will help a little...

Also, if they didn't remove the rubber isolators from the top and bottom (I think) of the springs you can do that as well. That would be almost another 1/4 inch. Mine are gone and I don't notice any metal to metal noises in the rear...

Young28

The Yukon God
Reaction score
who cares pics of the dually! kthxbye.

Your esky looks good though.

OP
OP
ESCA-L8R

ESCA-L8R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
that dually is ****.....

hit up tony from djm suspension on here, he has shock extenders, and a fair price at that.

Oh? Y'all vibe-ing our shop truck? '92 3500 big block, 95 nose, '02 Yukon interior, hard-slammed on shaved semi-truck Alcoas. It's a towing animal. Here's a better pic...

Attachments

• DSC00108.jpg
    DSC00108.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 27

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Had 4Wheel Parts install my McGaughey's 3/5 drop on my '02 Escalade yesterday, figuring they were pretty much suspension kit wizards, right?

Wrong.

Below are three pics. The first is before.. Second is as picked up post-install, with the rear clearly resting on the bumpstops and the front keys cranked completely up- it's really not much lower than stock.. Third pic is after I chopped out the bumpstop brackets and slacked the keys. I'm cool with the front, but the back still looks to be skying to me.. I'm hoping those new coils will settle a bit now that the bumpstops aren't there, so we'll see..

I'm going to start messing shock extenders to try to reinstall the stock Autoride shocks- Anybody know of a good source for long extenders?

Thanks- JVP

TRUST ME on this

1) start with rear shock extenders

2) if you want to get the rear lower and ride better pull autoride shocks do the rear djm tb spring plus rear kit I have. Truck will sit low and ride much better

3) front/rear belltech street performance shocks and then in front you will be able to crank down the torsen keys. The rear will sit about 2.5 inches lower than what your rear is at now with the set up i wrote in #2 above

Any other questions just hollar

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the Dually...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member