4 wheel drive grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tarantula18t

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I switched my 2010 Tahoe into 4 wheel drive today because of the conditions out here. I noticed sort of a grinding/wheezing noise when I was driving, particularly when I was driving slow. With my radio on, I couldn't really hear it, but it's quite noticeable without it.

After doing a bit of reading online, it sounds like others have experienced this, and some were told that it is a common noise when switched into 4 wheel drive?

Any suggestions, or is this something that needs to get looked at asap.

Thanks

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched my 2010 Tahoe into 4 wheel drive today because of the conditions out here. I noticed sort of a grinding/wheezing noise when I was driving, particularly when I was driving slow. With my radio on, I couldn't really hear it, but it's quite noticeable without it.

After doing a bit of reading online, it sounds like others have experienced this, and some were told that it is a common noise when switched into 4 wheel drive?

Any suggestions, or is this something that needs to get looked at asap.

Thanks

Hello,

I really can’t say if the noise you are hearing is normal because I am not there to hear it myself. Seems the vehicle should be under warranty, I would suggest stopping at a dealership and asking them if they feel this is normal. If you need any help locating a dealership, or there is anything I can help with, please let me know.

Geoff Allen
GM Customer Service

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you in auto, 4hi, or 4lo? Are you driving on asphalt with snow/ice, or have it in auto/4wd just in case?

Based on your description of grinding/wheezing, that is not normal. However, if you are in 4lo, there is the normal gear type whine that is audible. In any case, take it in like Geoff indicated to make sure there isn't an issue.

bmxdannyo

Reaction score
If you are in 4Lo it doesnt matter what you are driving, its going to make noise, but unless your stuck, 4lo isnt really necessary, plus you would only be able to go about 25 mph

Last edited:

k9lovr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a noise out of mine today while in 4w/high and it occurred when I was turning. Also produced a bit of a vibration, noise and vibration came from the front. As soon as I switched to 2wLo it went away. Also my truck has the belltech 2/3 kit. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks

lovemytoy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
knock, vibration especially when turning tends to point strongly to a bad u/cv joint. the joint exibits alot more pressure while it is placed on an angle while under pressure so you may not experience this when in rear drive only since there is no pressure to the front drive. It may even behave normally while you are driving in a straight line but they do give themselves away while in a turn.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a noise out of mine today while in 4w/high and it occurred when I was turning. Also produced a bit of a vibration, noise and vibration came from the front. As soon as I switched to 2wLo it went away. Also my truck has the belltech 2/3 kit. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks

Do not engage 4hi while on dry pavement! This is very ******* the drivetrain and that is why you are experiencing noise and vibration. Only engage 4hi or 4low on dirt, snow, etc.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the 2008 that is on your signature or not. If it is, this is possibly something that could be covered under the powertrain warranty, depending on miles and the problem. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance finding a dealer or setting up an appointment for you.

Geoff Allen
GM Customer Service

k9lovr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not engage 4hi while on dry pavement! This is very ******* the drivetrain and that is why you are experiencing noise and vibration. Only engage 4hi or 4low on dirt, snow, etc.

Question, how is this ******* the 4wd system? I have never heard of this before. Never had this warning in previous 4wd vehicles I have owned either. Is this the 4wd system fighting itself, since it was on dry pavement no slipping and power to all 4 wheels?

Last edited:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using 4WD (not all wheel drive) on dry pavement will cause driveline binding and wheel hop because the tranfer case locks the front and rear drive shafts. When you are on dry pavement and turning, the front versus the rear wheels (and also each front wheel relative to each other) will be spinning at different speeds. Now you can imagine how hard this is on the driveline when the transfer case locks the front and rear drive shafts.

Keep in mind there is a difference on our vehicles between Auto and 4hi/4low. Also all wheel drive (AWD) vehicles have a different setup (can be open center differentials depending of manufacturer) that allow them to be driven on dry pavement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus