4WD indicator lights shows Neutral

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2004 z71 Tahoe is driving fine but I noticed that the 4WD indicator only has Neutral light on. I tried selecting the 2hi and it just flashed.

When you start the vehicles, all the 4WD lights come on as usual.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2004 z71 Tahoe is driving fine but I noticed that the 4WD indicator only has Neutral light on. I tried selecting the 2hi and it just flashed.

When you start the vehicles, all the 4WD lights come on as usual.
SHift motor encoder (Commutator) is dirty and the TCCM is lost and doesnt know what gear the Tcase is in. Sometimes just screwing around with it in the driveway pushing 4Hi or 2wd will get a successful shift and position feedback while cleaning out the dirty spot but eventually it will keep coming back and eventually stay. The position sensor can be replaced on the encoder shift motor for the Tcase.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that a complicated repair? It came back to normal after I started up the truck yesterday, for drive home.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Replacing the whole encoder motor isn't very technical (no programming), just removal of the front propshaft from the transfer case end to get it out of the way. The mounting bolts for the encoder motor can be a bit long, so be prepared to ratchet on them for a while. Plenty of YouTube videos on that replacement procedure.

Fixing the existing encoder motor requires removal from the transfer case, and some disassembly to replace the commutator. Then reverse for installation.

Personally I'd buy a new encoder motor and a new commutator ring. Replace the encoder motor to get you on your way, then take your time to replace the commutator in your old encoder motor. Then you have a spare.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will search for videos and see how truck does in near future.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it's anything like mine was, it'll be a bit bipolar, and mess up from time to time. Sometimes an ignition cycle fixed the mode light, but other times not.

Below is a video showing how it's done on yours. A couple of tips:

1. Chock the wheels and set the parking brake, or have it on 4 jackstands.

2. No need to fully remove the front propshaft; you should be able to swing the end out of your way once the end is out of the transfer case (TC). Up to you whether you take it all the way out or not.

3. A new encoder motor (EM) will be clocked to the transfer case's neutral position (note the plastic retainer that is to be discarded when you install it). Do yourself a favor and don't power up the EM and try to move its position before mounting it to the TC. Do your best to put the TC in neutral using the dash switch. If you can't get the TC into true neutral, after you remove the EM you'll be able to turn the TC's splined shaft to the correct position (neutral) with pliers or channel locks. While doing that you may need to move the rear driveshaft back and forth a bit to make it easier, or not.

4. Reuse the black plastic gasket/spacer if it's in good shape. No sealer required.

5. Be sure to fasten the pigtail connector to the bracket up in the driveshaft tunnel. We've seen those wires get caught in the driveshaft and the results are not pretty.

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyBosnian