4WD transfer case in AWD Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Avery read

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 gmc yukon Denali AWD. I replaced my transfer case with one that matches my vin. The transfer case I took out the truck that’s been fine for 2 years since I bought the truck was a GM 246 transfer case. Which comes back to a 4WD electric shift transfer case.

The transfer case I put in my truck is indeed for an AWD and doesn’t have the electric shift, but now my truck now won’t move. Why is this? Why does the transfer case that goes to my truck not work, But the one that was in it does work but it’s supposedly the wrong one

OP
OP
A

Avery read

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe the case you just put in is bad.

Does park hold or does it roll?
Grinds when I try to put it in park if the truck is running. Have to shut the truck off. I keep a block behind the wheel so not sure if it rolls. Didn’t want to chance it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Something funny going on here -- a Denali that year is OE AWD and the NP246 two-speed transfer case is not a match for that system.

OP
OP
A

Avery read

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Something funny going on here -- a Denali that year is OE AWD and the NP246 two-speed transfer case is not a match for that system.
That’s what thought too. But that’s what I’ve been running for the last 2 years. Could they have changed diffs? Or would the differential still be the same no matter what TC?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The front diff used with a two-speed Auto T/C has an actuator on it; the AWD diff doesn't since it's always engaged. Does this thing have a dash button to engage the T/C? Pic?

What N** RPO codes are shown in the glovebox, and does the VIN on that sticker match the vehicle VIN?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blew up the front diff thinking it was the tcase and replaced with an np246 and has been in 2wd since?

OP
OP
A

Avery read

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The front diff used with a two-speed Auto T/C has an actuator on it; the AWD diff doesn't since it's always engaged. Does this thing have a dash button to engage the T/C? Pic?

What N** RPO codes are shown in the glovebox, and does the VIN on that sticker match the vehicle VIN?
I would have to check. But no it doesn’t have a dash button. VIN reads AWD 6.0 Denali which it is.

OP
OP
A

Avery read

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
blew up the front diff thinking it was the tcase and replaced with an np246 and has been in 2wd since?
Front diff is fine. Old TC case is out of truck. Can spin it over and hear the grinding inside.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the transmission grinds when you put it in park, that means the internals are spinning and the transfer case is...

A. Internally broken and letting the output shaft of the transmission spin while not putting power to the driveshafts.
B. The output of the transmission is not engaging the input of the AWD case.

Are BOTH driveshafts installed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LilithMoon