5.3L Starting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

db0353

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It won't be your fuel pump with pressures you show. I believe vapors from your fuel tank are going your engine. It happens when the engine is warm and opening the throttle helps it start. Next time, hold the throttle to the floor when you crank it and see if it catches and runs. Foot to the floor is a signal to the control module when cranking the engine that the engine is flooded. It shuts down the injector system to help clear fuel. The fuel system on these vehicles is precise and complex and they often don't set a code.
On another note turning over, spinning, cranking are terms that indicate the starter is actual running the engine. Starting, catching, running are terms that the engine is or has started. It's a technicality but confusing when someone says the engine turns over but won't crank.

OP
OP
SGinn722

SGinn722

Reaction score
It won't be your fuel pump with pressures you show. I believe vapors from your fuel tank are going your engine. It happens when the engine is warm and opening the throttle helps it start. Next time, hold the throttle to the floor when you crank it and see if it catches and runs. Foot to the floor is a signal to the control module when cranking the engine that the engine is flooded. It shuts down the injector system to help clear fuel. The fuel system on these vehicles is precise and complex and they often don't set a code.

That makes total sense. By putting it to the floor will this "clear" the problem or will it still persist?

GBRacing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm very curious to know how to solve this. I've already replace the purge system $170. The problem went away for a few weeks and then it happen again. Really would like to know how to solve this.

khaleej

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
DId you replace the Fuel Pump With the same part number.Is the Fuel pump Original.
If the fuel pump is not original it will work perfectly for a few days. And then the same problem starts over again.
I have replaced many Fuel Pumps of Tahoe and yukon ranging from 2007 to 2012.
Have you performed any Diagnosis using a scan tool.

Last edited:

Gbam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I get the stuble upon starting if I fill the tank anywhere from 3/4-Full. I usually have to feather the throttle to get it to idle up and stop stumbling to get it to start. I was thinking it was a vent issue but, looks like I need to look further. Any more information on a possible fix would be awesome!

BEEMDUB

PIMP DADDY FLEX
Reaction score
Sounds fuel related, especially if there is no SES light. Try changing your fuel filter...if that doesn't help your pump may be failing but, ideally, you'll want to do a fuel pressure check.

Cameron

Could also be the fuel pressure regulator...as for changing the fuel filter, that may not be as easy as it seems..unless I'm incorrect it seems that the fuel filter is within the fuel pump which would require you to drop the entire tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andraliahlee