6.0 Swap Time!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing is and this is a personal opinion here.
I would rebuild the 60e, and get the vehicle going. But, I would then start looking for a usable or decent core for rebuilding 80e. And start saving for the 80e swap parts to do a 80e swap.
Solely for the fact I have destroyed SSSOOOOOO many 60es over the years with low to medium power engines( 3 or 4 with just a 4.3 v6), that I would never trust one behind a 6.0 engine. I know they were behind them from the factory... but is still don't trust them.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing is and this is a personal opinion here.
I would rebuild the 60e, and get the vehicle going. But, I would then start looking for a usable or decent core for rebuilding 80e. And start saving for the 80e swap parts to do a 80e swap.
Solely for the fact I have destroyed SSSOOOOOO many 60es over the years with low to medium power engines( 3 or 4 with just a 4.3 v6), that I would never trust one behind a 6.0 engine. I know they were behind them from the factory... but is still don't trust them.
I am coming to the conclusion that, when considering the 4L60E, it's the luck of the draw in terms of how long they last...The primary failure factors are:

1. Casting quality of the valve body
2, Casting quality of the forward drum
3. Metal used in the sun shell

The valve bodies exhibit wear rates that are all over the map in terms of mileage...I've vac tested hundreds of 4L60Es ranging from 40k miles at failure to well over 200k and the common denominator seems to be excessive wear in the TCC regulator, AFL valves as well as both abuse valve bore plugs, end plus and in some cases the 3-2 control valve (96+).

I also see significant variance in drum sealing integrity...Here I'm referring to the input shaft-forward drum junction where the cast steel shaft is pressed into the case aluminum drum...The input shaft has three different hydraulic apply circuits passing through this junction and, depending on the quality of the cast aluminum drum, its female splines exhibit either no-minumal wear (passes leak test) or high rates of wear (fails leak test)...The drums with poor casting/accelerated wear invariably present with dramatic 3-4 clutch pack failure. This on top of a relatively weak direct clutch pack compared to peer units from Ford and Dodge (4R70W / A518 respectively).

Lastly, the piss-poor, soft metal the factory chose for the sun gear reaction shell (aka 'drive shell') leads to numerous 4L60E failures. Upon teardown, these shells are either decapitated, or very nearly so, presenting with extensive wear at the neck or neck splines stripped (no reverse, 2nd or 4th is the result).

Assuming those three things are corrected on overhaul (properly reman valve body, aftermarket performance forward drum and/or shaft and Sonnax Smart sun gear reaction shell, assuming the transmission is otherwise built per the application, engine power levels and calibrated mechanically and/or electronically as needed, they can survive in high performance/RPM applications....

I am less inclined to use them in heavy duty applications where lots of towing/hauling/working with loads at least 15% more than what GM rated the vehicle to handle...At this point, I agree - a 4L80E swap is the way to go (perhaps paired with a rear-axle swap and suspension work to address any potential weak links elsewhere on the vehicle.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 4L80E will never accelerate as quickly as a 4L60E (2.48 vs 3.06 1st gear),
and no 4L80E will ever get as good MpG as a 4L60E.

On the other hand, whatever the 4L60E saves in MpG over a 4L80E,
MUST be invested in rebuild upgrade costs to make it nearly as durable as a basically-rebuilt 4L80E.

If you cannot afford (or find) a well-rebuilt 4L60E with durability upgrades that are admittedly not cheap,
and you plan on working or playing hard with your vehicle,
a 4L80E may be a sensible option, if you're willing to accept slightly higher MpG costs.

If your goal is MpGs, and you plan on driving gently, and NOT TOWING or otherwise working or playing hard,
then a 4L60E makes more sense.

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was removing my 246 today and noticed, yeah it has about that same amount of play on it as the one in your video did. You have a bit more on your plate going on right now, but thought I'd give you that bit of info.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 4L80E will never accelerate as quickly as a 4L60E (2.48 vs 3.06 1st gear),
This is semi true as there is more to it than gear ratio.
The stock 80e converter has a higher stall than the 60e so it "slips" more allowing the engine to rev a touch more on initial wide open throttle application thus getting to usable power quickly. And then you have to take into consideration rpm drop on the shifts. The 60e 1-2 is abysmal with the wide spacing it is almost an additional 400 rpm more of a drop than the 80e.( not taking into consideration converter efficiency) so that is 400 rpm you have to "make up" to get back into the power curve.
I would put a cream filled doughnut on the 0-60 being withing .7 seconds of each other on an identical DA day. And if he put say a slight stall converter in during the 80e swap ( because even a stock 5.3 tahoe will see an improvement with a 60e) he would see better 0-60 with the 80 over the 60.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Reaction score
Make sure you flush the cooler in the radiator too. If it was plugged, it could have contributed to the failure
That was the first thing I did, flushed all the lines, the cooler, and the rad. Thought maybe it was a blockage, but its definitely the pump. I did not install the torque converter correctly, and i paid for it.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Reaction score
I was removing my 246 today and noticed, yeah it has about that same amount of play on it as the one in your video did. You have a bit more on your plate going on right now, but thought I'd give you that bit of info.
This leads me to believe it was the trans making that clunking.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Reaction score
Ok; odd that it has no warranty as most of their major powetrain components come with one.

I also have several 4L60E Youtube videos including a step by step rebuild series along with numerous high performance tips/pointers videos so another resource for you if you need it.

Good luck with the build; post back if you have questions or run into any problems.
I FOUND THE WARRANTY. Get this though, it expired a day before the trans went out.:sunot:

I have the worst luck.

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This leads me to believe it was the trans making that clunking.
It's the gears in the case making the clunking noise. I could replicate it once it was out of the vehicle too. But feels like a normal amount of play, I wouldn't be worried about it on yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rusty Dodge

Latest posts