6 speed laggy shifts and drive by wire lag?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ProStreetCamaro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 Yukon and have no lag and the trans shifts good. Just test drove a 2013 avalanche and 2012 Hoe and they both had horrible gas pedal lag and the transmissions were laggy as @#$%#. Both were brand new. Do they stay that way or do they learn as you drive them and get better?

Also how are the new 6 speeds as far as reliability goes? I know the 4L60E in 07 and 08 are known for crapping out. Mine was replaced at 18,000 miles before I bought it.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope that's the 6 speed tranny for ya... BB tune fixes that though so no worries!

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6-speed blows.

And I, personally, would correct Felix's comment by saying that a BB tune makes it a little better, but does not "fix" it. I think that even BB admits that they can't "fix" it. My tune has made shifting more firm, and a little peppier, but you can still feel every shift, every downshift, every flare and gear hunt.

Did I say that the 6-speed blows? It blows.

Whereas I love my Tahoe, it's the only thing about my '02 that I would take over my '09. I really can't stand how much you can feel this trans doing it's thing.

OP
OP
P

ProStreetCamaro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6-speed blows.

And I, personally, would correct Felix's comment by saying that a BB tune makes it a little better, but does not "fix" it. I think that even BB admits that they can't "fix" it. My tune has made shifting more firm, and a little peppier, but you can still feel every shift, every downshift, every flare and gear hunt.

Did I say that the 6-speed blows? It blows.

Whereas I love my Tahoe, it's the only thing about my '02 that I would take over my '09. I really can't stand how much you can feel this trans doing it's thing.

That is a damn shame. Our 2007 NNBS 2500HD does the same stupid crap. Not the end of the world but very annoying. As far as strength has the 6 speed been known to be a stronger unit?

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a damn shame. Our 2007 NNBS 2500HD does the same stupid crap. Not the end of the world but very annoying. As far as strength has the 6 speed been known to be a stronger unit?

I've heard that it's supposed to be stronger. I don't have any reason to think that it's not. It's just a damn shame when it's refreshing to get into my wife's minivan and NOT feel it shifting into and out of gears.

OP
OP
P

ProStreetCamaro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The avy that I am about to pull the trigger on is a fully loaded to the max LTZ. Just to good of a deal to pass up on and it is a color that I really like. $44K blue topaz with black leather heated and cooled seats, navi, sunroof, rear entertainment etc etc etc etc. I hope it does not get sold before saturday!

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I press the tow/haul button, when i want the transmission to be more reactive.... dunno how good that is for the car, but it definitely gets it going...

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do "flare" a lot.

I also feel all the downshifts.

My 2002 Suburban Cable drive also feels "stronger" on the low end.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie, I love my 6 speed, but it's geared way too wide. There's no reason for me to get to 100mph in 3rd gear. I got a BB tune to get rid of the pedal lag

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love mine too, just 90% of the time. The lag I suppose annoys me a lot too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trojjan