6L80E Trans Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've called around and used the online quote tool for Street Smart. Choices seem to be
1. GM reman for $6600 installed with a 3yr warrantee
2. Jasper reman for $6900 installed with a 3yr warrantee
3. Street Smart Reman for $3700 installed with a 5yr parts warrantee but $50/hr labor rate
4. Semicustom Circle D rebuild for $7200ish installed with a 2yr warrantee but with some level of parts selection

None of this includes a cooler but I can take care of that even before they get ahold of the vehicle. I saw Street Smart recommended on the info thread and their reviews look pretty good but knowing this thing is already on trans #2 (confirmed the original should have been raw not painted) I'm worried again about it letting my passengers down on a trip to West TX hauling the troop trailer even if it is under warrantee.
The GM unit would be serviceable at any GM dealership in the event you needed to make a warranty claim. The Circle D trans would be the most "built" of the bunch while Jasper and Streetsmart would be somewhere in between.

OP
OP
C

CTX-SLPR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did a chat with Street Smart and a "billet converter" is the only upgrade at $150. The service network does look to be pretty forgiving but I'd rather not test that function out.

Things seem to be fine for normal operation so I'll just take myself off of towing duty till I can figure this out longterm. I'll admit I did go looking for a dang 07-08 2500 with the 4L80E but I think a one of the above is likely a better choice as 2500's tend to be pretty well worn or high dollar.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would ask google which transmission shop is rated the best in town and go there to see what your local options are, to me those prices are well over what they should be.
I told mine I was going to boost it, so build it for 500hp, that was 50k ago 0 issue's

OP
OP
C

CTX-SLPR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would ask google which transmission shop is rated the best in town and go there to see what your local options are, to me those prices are well over what they should be.
I told mine I was going to boost it, so build it for 500hp, that was 50k ago 0 issue's
I'll poke here in B/CS though the North side of Houston is only an hour or so away. The Street Smart unit doesn't seem too far off considering a decent junkyard unit with less miles that my Yukon has in total, much less the current trans, is >$2500. Like I said, I tow a scout trailer with it so I don't want to have to try to get it home from 6hrs away just to have the local shop fix it.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll poke here in B/CS though the North side of Houston is only an hour or so away. The Street Smart unit doesn't seem too far off considering a decent junkyard unit with less miles that my Yukon has in total, much less the current trans, is >$2500. Like I said, I tow a scout trailer with it so I don't want to have to try to get it home from 6hrs away just to have the local shop fix it.
Look up Hiram Gutierrez; his channel on YT is Automatic Transmissions and he's based in Houston. Im fairly certain he does GM 6Ls. See if you can find him on Yelp or Facebook/Facebook Marketplace.

OP
OP
C

CTX-SLPR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Will see if I can find any contact info for him, a quick Google didn't turn anything up.

Nick, just wanted to personally thank you for not only your posts on the forum in general, but following up on my thread specifically as you don't really get anything out of this with me being out of state for you.

OP
OP
C

CTX-SLPR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
HP Tuners work done, upload tomorrow. I have been really unhappy with shudders on downshifts and it feeling like the vehicle was ahead of the trans so I decreased the shift time on downshift from everything to 1st to 80% of original. Otherwise I followed this guide from HP Tuners:

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will see if I can find any contact info for him, a quick Google didn't turn anything up.

Nick, just wanted to personally thank you for not only your posts on the forum in general, but following up on my thread specifically as you don't really get anything out of this with me being out of state for you.
You're welcome, CTX. Didnt see this post until now (i dont get alerts and just happened to be scanning the forum)

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Thanks for posting up the TX prices for trans reman as of Sept 2024. That’s definitely less expensive than any other new vehicle that size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MusicMan123