97 hoe shutting down while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdiacont322

Reaction score
so just recently ive been driving and my tahoe shuts of and turns back on while im driving. it happens at idle also but it dies instead of restarts. any ideas on what this could be?

thanks
mike

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it just die instantly? Or can you feel it wanting to die then it shuts off? I would check the battery connections/cables/etc.

RVMS

Reaction score
i know this is random.... but do the hoes have a cam position sensor?

i remember my maxima would just die while driving down the road and that is what it turned out to be

97yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it acts up before it dies.....fuel pump for sure(especially if it has trouble restarting). if it just shuts off...check battery first...if its all good get your alternator tested to make sure your pulling enough amps. willing to bet its fuel pump...there famous for that.

Is it 2012 yet?
Reaction score
Mine did this it was crank position sensor. It is located by the harmonic balancer with it running move the wires around see if it acts up if it does get a new pigtail and sensor for it. Rewired mine runs without issue since.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you added any kind of aftermarket electronic accessories?

I ask because I had a remote starter installed and it was the cause of my Hoe to die while driving as well as it killing the battery every 5 to 6 weeks. I'd be driving on the highway going 70 and it would just shut off or I'd be driving around town and it would do the same thing. Thankfully I was alone every time, it was hair raising hah.

T-Bagg

The Esca-Hoe driver.
Reaction score
I had an issue like this a while back. The motor would shut off, but the radio and lights would stay on. I had a bust alternator.

OP
OP
mdiacont322

mdiacont322

Reaction score
i fixed it! the pink ignition wire was butchered up in the column so i cut and spliced it... problem solved! i guess the truck had remote start at one point...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Open Road