97 Tahoe cruise control unexpected disengaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
Replacing those switches are a true test of patience and can enhance your vocabulary.
Yes, my vocab was fully utilized as I tried over and over and over to get the existing retainer clip to release and then again over and over and over to get the new retainer clip on, without having any space to put my fingers on the retainer clip at all. I must have dropped the retainer clip at least a half dozen times before getting it to stay in place, and then had to press it in, which took several attempts at a minimum. On top of this was the issue with the wiring harness being too short to allow me to put my eyes on the switch while I attempted to attach the connection. I had to attach the connection virtually blind. Persistance won out.

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
I ordered Brake Light Switch ACD#1565E/GM#93801734 from Summit Racing with a new identical retainer clip from the Dorman GM Brake Light Switch Retainers 6 pack #13808 (Advanced Auto). It was a royal pain in the you know what to navigate tools, hand, switch, and retainer up above the steering column and remove the existing retainer clip and swap out the switches and install a new retainer clip. I managed to get it done, tested the brake lights and then took it on the highway to set the cruise which worked as designed. The test now comes over time to see if the cruise stays engaged on an extended drive. With 27 years and 238,000 miles on the original switch, the switch replacement may have been the solution. Thanks for the input!

Well the celebration was short. Took the Tahoe out this morning and the cruise wouldn't engage. So that rules out the brake light switch as the cause. I understand there can be mechanical failure inside the Electro Motor-Cruise Control unit that is attached to the firewall directly in front of the driver. After almost 28 years and 240,000 miles, and lots of use of cruise control, maybe that is what is going on. The search continues to rectify this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freestyle231