97 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
thats kinda the way i was leaned just wanted to see what other people thought thanks im getting a full exaust ill let yall know again thanks

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stupid question, does the service engine light go away if the conditions clear? or the code, does the code clear on its own? i know some cars you have to clear out the old codes, they may not go away on their own. you may be doing that already, was just asking a possibly stupid question. branndon.

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
stupid question, does the service engine light go away if the conditions clear? or the code, does the code clear on its own? i know some cars you have to clear out the old codes, they may not go away on their own. you may be doing that already, was just asking a possibly stupid question. branndon.

on mine the light comes and goes but I'm 99% sure the code stays until you clear it

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
on mine the light comes on and blinks when the truck has a misfire i know the code canbe cleared and if not fixed will come back on but i think the other is based on drive cycles after the computer finds nothing wrong after so many cycles it will clear sometimes store in the computers memory even when fixed and cleared

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the blinking light mean something more urgent than a misfire, like running lean or something?

kjlegend

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, If your light is BLINKING vs SOLID ON then you have a major malfunction. As my mechanic says "A catastrophic malfunction and stop the mother fu$%in car now"

gd2227

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
a slight misfire and a blinking check engine light on mine = 1 bent push rod in the shape of a Z, 1 pushrod sent through the top of the rocker, 5 roller lifters with blown out retaining rings (with a bunch of small metal fragments send all over the cam galley and down into the pan). I believe the #4 piston is dead as well.
SO, +2 for the blinking check engine light = bad :emotions122:

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
dealer says a blinking check engine light means that is when the engine is misfireing, yes a bent push rod can cause this I agree but wouldnt i hear it knocking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts