98 Tahoe P0300 fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcoffey24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and want to share my recent problem with my 98 Tahoe. I have had the Tahoe for about 3 years now and it has been an awesome truck when it runs! I had # 7 injector quit on me about this time last year so I replaced it and have had no problems until this month. I started the truck so I could leave and I had a dead miss for about 30 seconds and it went away. I drove the truck for about 2 weeks and it started missing again but this time did not clean itself up. The SES light came on so I checked the code and it was a cylinder 2 misfire. After checking spark I knew it was a fuel issue so I stopped by the auto parts store and got a injector and a intake seal kit. After I got everything back together the truck was running worse then it ever has and the code I had now was p0300 random multiple cylinder misfire. I thought the problem was a vacuum leak on the intake where it seals around the injection unit so I pulled it apart and the o ring broke. I got a new o ring and put everything back together again and had the same problem! At that point I started checking everything that could have anything to do with a misfire and found that the cylinders that had a misfire were moving around so then I was really stumped. That had me thinking maybe the cap and rotor were weak or firing intermittently so I replaced the cap rotor plugs and wires fired it up and still had the same problem. Checked fuel pressure on the rail and everything was reading right where it should be. I started thinking back and I had just filled the gas tank a day before all this started so I wanted to see what the fuel filter looked like. I dumped a bunch of black crap out of the filter so I started looking into a fuel issue again. I pulled the TB off so I could get to # 3 injector (it was a cylinder with a misfire) without pulling the intake off again. With some 45 needle nose pliers I was able to pull the injector up to see if it would spray while cranking the engine. It did not so I pulled number 1 to see if it would and it was! So now I knew this is a fuel problem and after reading about many people having problems with the SFI fuel system I decided to replace all the injectors and pressure regulator to a MFI setup. Got everything back together and finally it was running better then it ever has! Looking back on this I blame this problem on bad maintenance on my part. I bought the truck with 70,000 miles on it and it now has 135,000 miles on it and I have only replaced the fuel filter once. From now on I will definitely be more concerned about changing the filter and using injector cleaner. I hope this can help someone avoid or identify this problem so you dont end up throwing parts at the problem like I did.

nimrodcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man, welcome to the forum.

Glad to hear that you fixed your problem so you can keep that truck a little longer. Thanks for the info, some of us can use all the help we can get. :)

BWdiver

Reaction score
how many fuel filters are on a 99 tahoe? and where are they. just bought a 99 w/133000 miles.

thanks,

Bud.

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alot of people never even think about replacing their fuel filter when buying a used vehicle,esp one with high milage...

Bamba

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice going MC24. I'm currently having some very similar symptoms, thx for the background info.

king_yukon

Reaction score
Just had a p0300 code come up and figured what the hell lets see what has been done on here before I start tearing it apart.

I changed my cap rotor wires plugs about 2 months ago maybe. And today on my drive home boom I get a random misfire code. I'm sure it's not a spark problem although I'm going to look into it just in case.

My first thoughts were fuel filter or injectors like yours ended up being. You gave me some good insight as to what I haven't thought of checking. Thanks man been helpful.

PS still haven't changed my fuel filter yet since I bought it a few months back (haven't had time) and it just turned 155000miles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365