98 tahoe wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

house00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i recently had a new engine put in my tahoe and it was running fine for a week. the other night i drove it around the block to my mothers house. when i went to start it, it turned over, almost started then stalled. i turned the key and the engine would turn over but would not start. i noticed that i could not hear the fuel pump so we checked out the fuses and found a blown ecm fuse. replaced it and the truck started and ran fine for 3 starts. i got it home after driving about 20 min and when i went to start it a couple hours later, it wouldnt start again. the ecm fuse appears ok. we are going to do some more testing after work today. ive tried searching and cant find anything on this issue... thanks for any help

faze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should change the ecm fuse again and see if it perks up again...sometimes fuses can look good.

On my diesel I used to pull off the line to the fuel injection system and run it into a jar, have someone turn the ignition to run and see if I have pressure. You may have to turn it over...sometimes the oil pressure sending switch turns on the fuel pump on the frame.

did you run the gas tank low lately? You could have sucked some crap up from the bottom.

Last edited:
OP
OP
house00

house00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you should change the ecm fuse again and see if it perks up again...sometimes fuses can look good.

On my diesel I used to pull off the line to the fuel injection system and run it into a jar, have someone turn over/start the truck and see if I have fuel flow...haven't tried this on my vortec but shouldn't be hard to figure out.

did you run the gas tank low lately?

right before i changed the engine it sat for over a year with less that 1/8 tank... ive since filled the tank and the issue started with about 1/2 tank. i also noticed that after i changed the fuel filter, the pump whine got softer. im hoping that it is not a bad pump. my father is leaning more towards a short, which we will be testing for in a little while...

OP
OP
house00

house00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so we went into the fuse box after work and double checked the fuses... my dad gave the fuel pump relay a couple taps, and the fule pump kicked on. he tested the fuel pump draw on the ecm fuse and everything was getting power properly... i put a new relay in and let it run for a while. drove it for a bit and started and stopped it several times and the problem has not happened again... i hope this was it. i am going to talk to the shop that replaced the enginge to see if they had any issues after replacing...:emotions122:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx