'99 5.7L -- Cranks But Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cqlink

Reaction score
Cranked it repeatedly. Tried mashing the pedal. Can't smell a whiff of gas under the hood. Both fuses look fine under the hood (injectors and fuel pump). I'm new to these trucks. Not sure where the tank is situated (dark outside now) but when I advanced the key to the forward position just far enough so the fuel pump should kick on (if that's how these Chevy's work), I couldn't hear anything underneath the rear end.

Truck has been sitting for two weeks (not started) on a slight incline (ass end down). Fuel level is between 1/4 and 1/2. I was thinking of letting her roll down the incline where I'm parked to level her off so I'd know for sure fuel was in the pump but I'm alone and would hate to try to push this beast back into the parking place myself.

Truck has run flawlessly since I replaced the intake gasket. Moved from Detroit to DC area without any issues.

Truck has 88K miles and I know in addition to the intake gasket leaks, these fuel pumps don't last but failing at only 88K???

I have a new Walbro TU435 which I believe is the same fuel pump used at the factory.

Before I call a wrecker, any thoughts?

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Forgot to add, before the trip I installed new plugs and new fuel filter.

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Also forgot to ask....how do you pull codes on these trucks?

OP
OP
C

cqlink

Reaction score
Went out this morning with a flashlight and pulled the fuses (pulled the wrong ones last time). Used my thumbnail to clean a little crud off them and put them back in. Took the gas cap off and retightened. I found a thread advising to try forwarding the key to the "on" position a few times and leaving it there for a minute or so each time. According to the thread, this process may activate the pump.

I went through all of the above and the truck started to turn over. I mashed the pedal and got it to start!

Next, I pulled the truck to a level parking place in my apartment complex, shut her down and tried to restart. She cranked right up.

I'm still hesitant to drive her too far. From what I read, these symptoms are typical of a failing pump.

I thinking of driving her to a local shop and having them replace the pump. Problem is I think I just ordered the pump (Walbro equivilent to the OEM).

Is there an assembly the pump fits into before it goes back in the tank?

Can the old assembly be reused?

I'm opening the box tonight. The box says "fuel pump kit." Maybe I have everything for the job.

Diller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check the fuel pressure regulator too. These are known to go bad. They cause either a hard start condition, or no start at all once they've become a real problem.

Diller
99 Yukon

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
you gotta bad fuel pump ...plain and simple. go fix it b4 the hoe leaves u stranded somewhere in buttfck iowa

OP
OP
C

cqlink

Reaction score
Anyone use a Walbro TU435 fuel pump on their truck? I read where GM used these on some trucks when they had supply issues with the Delco unit. I have a new Walbro but I may be able to send it back if it's going to cause a problem.

Also, I think I just have the pump. Is there an assembly inside the tank it fits into? can it be reused?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968