99 Tahoe - Alt & Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SneeKeeFahk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey All,

I just finally got new amp installed and my old amp re-installed. I was bumping down the street with my music blasting and all of a sudden i lost power to my head unit, amps, dash ... basically everything but the engine (my hoe kept running) after a couple of seconds everything came back up. I was pretty much home so i didn't turn it back up. A couple of days later i was waiting for someone and i had my stereo cranked with no problems but as soon as i drove like 15ft the same thing happened again. The volt meter was still reading just under 13 if that matters.

It's really hard to enjoy my fancy stereo if the damned thing wont stay on.

I was talking to a friend of mine and they suggested it's time i upgrade the Alternator and Battery as i'm still using the stock alt and just some superstore special battery. So here i am turning to the internet for suggestions in regards to the alternator and battery. I have noticed my alternator can't really keep up specially when i have the A/C running (i have the rear A/C too if that matters) or when the turn signal is on i can actually watch my volt meter bounce with the click of the light.

So here is my questions:

1) What is the amperage on a stock 99 Tahoe Z71 alternator?
2) What alternator should i put in to replace the stock alt?
3) What is a good battery to run all my electronics without cutting out like it has now twice?

All of my above questions are moot if someone can tell me if it is another issue and isn't my alt/battery combo.

System Specs: (if they matter)
Head Unit: JVC KD-R820BT
Front Door Speakers: Infinity 6030CS
Rear Door Speakers: Infinity 6032CF
Back Speakers: Stock (going to replace just haven't gotten around to it yet)
Sub: 2 x 10" Kicker Comp
Sub Amp: Alpine MRP-M500
Speaker Amp: Alpine MRP-F300

98 2-DOOR

Reaction score
your stock alternator is probably 130AMP. you can put in a 200AMP, you just have to get a plug from an older model GM (mine came from an early 90's model caddy) Do you have dual batteries? if not, i would add a second. Since i have done both, i have had zero power problems.

OP
OP
SneeKeeFahk

SneeKeeFahk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have dual batteries? if not, i would add a second. Since i have done both, i have had zero power problems.

No i don't, would you recommend upgrading the Alt and adding a second battery? or should i just do one or the other?

98 2-DOOR

Reaction score
i would just do both, probably cost you about $500. There are some threads on here with some how to's on each, i just did mine on this forum "dual battery setup"

Attachments

• Dual Battery Setup.jpg
    Dual Battery Setup.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 76

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
If the voltage gauge still read 13 volts then I would look into power feed issues that are causing a low voltage shut off or a loose ground somewhere.

HK-DEMON-

Reaction score
If your running a complete stereo system your best bet is purchasing a 250amp ** Alt. I'll be switching to e-fans pretty soon, and since summer is coming up my A/C will be running at full blast so I know for a fact that my stock alt wont be able to keep up with so much current withdrawal, so I'll be placing an order for a Singer 250amp ** alt for my 01 Hoe.

98 2-DOOR

Reaction score
i also have e-fans and my set up, keeps it cool (170) at idle in the summer all day...My sound is not as elaborate, only have one JL-10" sub.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Stick with a NBS alt uprade then nothing fancy. Work for me with a five channel amp,flexalite efans, a/c and everything else on at idle. About $150 and. Few hours time.