99 Tahoe Maintains speeds even when throttle is "returned"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tapp1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I picked up a 99 Tahoe a few weeks ago. While driving it around, I noticed it likes to maintain whatever speed you are running at, even with my foot of the gas. The truck idles fine. Never hard any hard shifts. I did take the throttle body off and cleaned it, but that did not seem to solve that problem. This is annoying and tough on the brakes. Any suggestions?

Any ideas? Bad TPS or do I need to lube the throttle cable.

WiCK3D_SiX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replace the throttle cable, lube the pedal assembly, check the spring on the throttle body as well. Just my opinion. Not sure you can lubricate the cable?

OP
OP
T

tapp1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The spring on the throttle body seemed good. Snapped shut when released.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I would definitely start with lubing everything up and checking to see if you can lube that cable at all

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
replace the throttle cable do not lube it. You can not get the cable and sheath completely clean and you contaminate things further. Also ensure your cruise control servo is not creating this condition.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its very possible to completely clean a cable, did it for 6 years racing mountain bikes and 4 years racing dirtbikes..

Here is the cheapest tool, not the one I used but it gets the job done.

http://tinyurl.com/42jv8lz
Run air through it first to blow out all loose debris, then run a solvent through followed by air then a lubricant sutch as a silicone based lube.
You will need to have the cable loose and in hand, hanging vertical.
Push and pull the cable in the sheath while injecting air or lube.
It takes some time, but is well worth the effort.

cha_11_cab_lub.jpg

OP
OP
T

tapp1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
replace the throttle cable do not lube it. You can not get the cable and sheath completely clean and you contaminate things further. Also ensure your cruise control servo is not creating this condition.

Where is the CC servo located?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
on firewall. left side of vehicle. just follow the second throttle cable. If you only have one cable on throttle body then you don't have cruise control installed and working.

OP
OP
T

tapp1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
on firewall. left side of vehicle. just follow the second throttle cable. If you only have one cable on throttle body then you don't have cruise control installed and working.

Thanks. The Tahoe does have cruise control. I have not had any troubles with it as I have been using it almost daily on the highway. It just weird how the truck 'drives itself' around town. It doest really accelerate just maintains speed.

Motopsycho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 98 Sonoma that did the same thing. I fought with it and never could figure it out. I ended up selling the truck to a friend. He replaced the gas cap and that fixed the problem. Let us know if that works for you also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts