A/C compressor dead?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMitchum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got an '06 Yukon Denali. When I manually turn on the A/C I get no cold air or dehumidification (is that a word?!) I get no tell-tale click or momentary RPM reduction when I turn it on, either. Just nothin.

I have checked all fuses and everything looks in order. I'm thinking the compressor or maybe a relay? (Really hoping it's a relay!)

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Mitch

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turn the ac on, and look at the compressor to see if the clucthes are engaged. these compressors go out alot. my compressor started goin bad, and when the clutches would disengage, it would snap the belts, which usually ended up cutting the trans cooler lines

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has broken belts and the tensioner and I still cant figure it out lol

OP
OP
M

MMitchum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, not sure how to check the compressor clutches but did find something (very) basic that was wrong... AC belt off the pulleys and split down middle. Replacing both belts (serpentine too) now as they have some shine and minor cracking.

Feeling pretty dumb/blind right now.

But now I'm concerned that it wasn't just a worn belt that caused the problem... though, I did check and compressor turns.

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has broken belts and the tensioner and I still cant figure it out lol

thats what they do as the compressor starts to fail. when the clutches disengage, it doesnt just spin to rest. the compressor wont free spin like that, when it disengages, the belt goes from whatever rpm your belts are running at to 0 INSTANTLY! its violent enough to snap belts

Ok, not sure how to check the compressor clutches but did find something (very) basic that was wrong... AC belt off the pulleys and split down middle. Replacing both belts (serpentine too) now as they have some shine and minor cracking.

Feeling pretty dumb/blind right now.

But now I'm concerned that it wasn't just a worn belt that caused the problem... though, I did check and compressor turns.

start the truck, and have someone turn the ac on and off as you watch the compressor. you can see it engage and disengage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsiahR13