A/C Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jordankreutzer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

It's been quite a while since I have posted on here but I have been busy at college! Now that I'm done with that, I'm hoping to give some much needed care to the Yukon that has been neglected for the last few years.

I should start by saying I have a 2001 Yukon with 5.3L and 150,000 miles. Unfortunately, I have discovered a strange noise coming from under the hood. I would describe it as a squeal. Its only present when the A/C is turned on (I know its an A/C problem just not what specifically) and only when the engine revs around 2k. The A/C still cools fine and I don't see any noticeable wear to the belt or idler. I am just hoping someone can tell me its something minor and not the compressor.

Thanks Everyone!

BLKTah02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

It's been quite a while since I have posted on here but I have been busy at college! Now that I'm done with that, I'm hoping to give some much needed care to the Yukon that has been neglected for the last few years.

I should start by saying I have a 2001 Yukon with 5.3L and 150,000 miles. Unfortunately, I have discovered a strange noise coming from under the hood. I would describe it as a squeal. Its only present when the A/C is turned on (I know its an A/C problem just not what specifically) and only when the engine revs around 2k. The A/C still cools fine and I don't see any noticeable wear to the belt or idler. I am just hoping someone can tell me its something minor and not the compressor.

Thanks Everyone!

I have the same problem especially when it first starts up, and sometimes while driving

mcquack2

Reaction score
I also have this same problem. That's my number 1 issue right now that I'm looking into.

Ta_hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like compressor.... wich really isnt major, but not minor also. I just completed my compressor swap because of the very thing you describe. Mine blew ICE cold too.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wah wah

Mine is more of a wah wah wah sound on the passenger side engine compartment...and also blows ice cold (????). Sounds like the engine room of a sub or something ?!?!?!? I hear it in the car (2005 XL/SLT) but can't pin point it with the hood open (?!?).

OP
OP
jordankreutzer

jordankreutzer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would agree the sound I have isn't really a squeak. A "wah wah" sound does describe it better. I guess when ever I hear the noise, I picture a belt being wrapped up in the fan or something. Now, there is no damage to my belts (yet) but thats kind of what the noise makes me think of. I am beginning to wonder if the A/C clutch is the problem and not the whole compressor since it does still blow cold air (crossing fingers). Does anyone know a good way to diagnose this?

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the clutch is starting to lock up.

-----PUGLIA-----

Tahoebigdog03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in this boat also it's either the clutch or compressor going out.

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably the clutch on the compressor. can be changed out separately but most people just replace the entire compressor. you'll pretty much need an entire a/c tune up since you will be exposing the a/c lines.

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread but maybe someone will pick it up.

On the 4th day w/ my "new" '02 Tahoe the A/C belt broke. It did not look worn - it looked ripped fairly cleanly. I put a new belt on and it cools fine. However, when I accelerate I hear a sound that to me is more like when we were kids and clothes pinned cards to our bicycles to sound like motorcycles. It stops when I back off the gas. Drove home yesterday taking it real soft on the accelerator and never heard it. I'm thinking compressor clutch. :hmmm2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou