A/C Snowflake blinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjs0001

Reaction score
This has been an ongoing issue for a few years and it's not an actuator issue. A/C will work great for a few weeks and then sometimes the snowflake starts blinking and the compressor clutch disengages. I have A/C gauges and the pressures are within range. I can restart the Escalade and it'll start working correctly, or it'll do the opposite. Same with pulling/swapping the relay. It doesn't have any HVAC codes.

Any ideas?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I read the thermostat is in delay mode and may be sensing a problem when it’s blinking trying to protect itself.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is also possible that the compressor clutch is worn to the point that the coil can not always pull it in to spin the compressor. Had that issue with the Silverado. Went to the junkyard and pulled a few clutches, and used the one that gave me the correct air gap. Been working for 3 years now I think.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start the engine and turn the A/C on MAX. See if the compressor engages.
If it doesn't, use a stick to lightly tap the edge of the clutch towards the pulley. Use the edge of the stick, NOT THE END. That way if it does engage it doesn't drive the stick back at you, it will just glance the stick away.
If this causes the A/C to run. Then clutch wear is the problem. Try 2 or 3 times if it works the first time. That way you can confirm a repeated scenario.

OP
OP
Fjs0001

Fjs0001

Reaction score
I replaced the ambient temperature sensor under the passenger headlight. I pulled the HVAC fuse to reset the system and it started working again. I'll try yalls other suggestions and let yall know whats up if it stops working again.

There is also an ambient temperature sensor for your mirror display under the driver's headlight. I didn't replace that one.