A few tune-up questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R_Sharpe

VIP
Reaction score
Well, I think that it's coming time for a good tune-up. I have neglected and abused my poor truck, and I'm tired of it. I don't want my truck to slowly self-destruct right before my eyes, lol. The truck has gotten slightly sluggish, and it just feels like it needs some help, so I'm gonna do my best to give that help to it... I have a few questions though...

I'm thinking that I'm gonna have GM Maintenance II performed for $49.95, plus Oil change (full-synthetic), four-tire rotation, and a 27-point inspection for $69.95. I'm in need of new brakes, I've noticed that my stopping ability has changed, but not for the better. When you drive like I do, there really isn't ANY room for error in your braking system, lol.

1.) What's the difference between synthetic and conventional oil? Synthetic is more expensive, so I imagine that it's better, would I be wrong to assume this? What are the advantages to using synthetic over conventional? I'm high mileage at 131K, so should I already be running synthetic?

2.) What are the best brake rotors and pads to get? I would assume that the GM ceramic pads aren't top-shelf, lol... I'm running LTZ 20s, and will eventually upgrade to 22s, so I don't need something capable of stopping a a dump-truck, lol.

3.) I'm hoping to eventually get a Volant CAI, and possibly a new exhaust system.

4.) Also, I have a question.... I know that running 93 octane in a car that is recommends only 87 doesn't really produce any power gains or differences... But in my truck, it does? The acceleration is much better, my tires spin out on take-off, etc... The previous owner's family is big into racing, and when my daddy bought the truck for me last year, he said that he wouldn't be surprised if we found out that they had done something to "soup" the engine up a little bit. My question is, are there any subtle engine upgrades that would make the car run better on 93?

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input and look forward to your responses :).

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also notice when I run 93 it's faster and runs better now that's all I use

RoliO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the brakes I have this kit I bought off ebay, Item number: 390411248188. That seller has a kit that includes the ceramic pads that is about $279 shipped. If you email him he will set you up. I have had mine for about 4 months now and am very happy with it. It stops better than before and the rotors look nice.
As far as synthetic oil goes, if you did not start using it when the truck was new I would not start now.

dsl100

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Syth oil will basically maintain it's properties better throughtout it's cycle, it may alloow you a bit more time between oil changes , however, it gets dirty just the same as Conventional oil so you do need to change it at recomended intervals as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian