ABS/Brake lights on and "Service Brake System"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im getting a " service brake system " message along with an ABS and BRAKE light on my 04 Yukon. It turns on after driving the truck for about 5 minutes... and it does it every time I drive it. I have been reading about the abs module (EBCM) being bad.
I took it to austozone while the lights were on and they found no codes. Anyone know of a place that wont charge me to find out what the code is? I will find one at a junk yard if I know that is the problem.

This isnt my truck, but this is exactly what I have.
utf-8BSU1HMDA3OTAtMjAxMDExMDktMTAyNS5qcGc.gif

nmsyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing, as well as my dad's old 04 avalanche. There were never any codes on either vehicle, at least according to the local chevy dealer. Neither one of us ever got ours fixed, but we were both told that it was the ebcm.
The only other thing to maybe try is the ground wire from the ebcm to the frame nearby. Although it didn't do anything to help mine.

Edit: The dealer did pull codes off the avalanche. The codes were C0265 and C0201.

Last edited:

Vincesrg03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened on my Yukon. Service brake system came on the dic. Replaced my rear pads and the light went out. A week later light came back on. Parts store could not pull the code, took it to the dealer and they pulled a code and said it was the brake booster vaccum motor. If you listen closely you can hear it cycle about every 5-10 seconds while the truck is on. They actually showed me on another Yukon that was there. They repaired it (like a $50 dollar part),replaced a wheel hub, and some other things. Needless to say it was like a 1500 dollar trip to the dealer. But since i got the extended warranty, my total was about 300 bucks. Maybe have them check that out. :Handshake:

cashflow50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
03' yukie 4.8L

My mechanic recently changed my brake master cylinder and starter. He also cleaned the TB cause it was kina idling rough when he fired the engine up. The next day i decided not to drive the truck..boy was i lucky. When I got home from work, I started the engine up while parked under my carport and it started fine. I took it for a test drive and about a mile into the drive, the DIC started trippin with the ABS, brake and Traction Control lights along with the "service brake sytem" message lights coming on. The door locks started unlocking and locking and chimes from the vehicle stated going on anf off also. The DIC also said reduced engine power soon after that. Before turning into a nearby parking lot, the engine turned off while on drive. I tried starting it up again and the starter just cranked and cranked with no start. I then waited a couple minutes then tried again. While cranking, I stepped on the pedal to try to get it to start...It barely started, but got it to start eventually. I revved it and revved it until I knew for sure that the engine had good idle. I proceed home and again about a 1/4 of a mile the engine shut off while in drive. Thank god I got it home safely with several tries to fire the engine up.

The next day I went to start the truck up again and it fired up fine. I let it idle for about 20-30 minutes. Curiously I turned the engine off to see if I could start it up again. When I tried starting it up...it cranks for about a second then no juice...Its like it just cuts off. Meaning while i turn the key without letting go..it cranks then just stops. What could be the problem.. Would it be the TPS or a matter of changing the wheel bearing as stated in this thread? Please Help.

sorry for hijacking the thread..

ps I also could feel a pulse when I pressed on the brakes.

del

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmds3