AC compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve_K

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Time to fix my OEM compressor. Rockauto has a GM new compressor. Do I spend some extra and get the H6 (I think ) style that may have same issues as my old one, or get the popular pick most have gone with (not the Four Seasons).

All I hear are bad comments on the old Harrison',s and comments about leaking around shaft or case halves. My unit cooled somewhat when I bought it a few years ago (about 2 or 3 yr back). As I mentioned, that was the original 1996 that came from the factory. I will charge system with dye and monitor for leaks before evacuating it and doing the upgrade. Am buying new dryer and orifice tube. Own a Robinair machine which helps me see what I have got to work with. First attempt, clutch was cycling but blowing hot. And I had a hissing schrader valve so ordered new fittings. I tried a high side charge but unhappy with that result. I will re-do charging high and low side, after pulling a vacuum. I never saw the correct measure of refrigerant get pulled in using method machine told me to follow.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last 2 I did I just bought a complete kit with accumulator, orifice and all of the rest. Total freon charge amount should be on a sticker on the accumulator. Not sure what you mean by a high side charge, with the engine running and compressor on you charge through the low (suction) side. After vacuuming system and allowing it to hold the vacuum to check for leaks I'll open both valves and allow freon to flow in through both sides to let the system equalize. The shut the high side and charge through the low.

OP
OP
S

Steve_K

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
are you charging engine off I assume?

Is the GM new (not recondition) a OK unit, or stick with the popular one on Rockauto?

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I open high and low engine off then shut the valves when freon stops flowing. Then start engine and with it running and AC on I charge through low.
I used aftermarket on the last few I did but the GM new is good. The design is bad with the housings that are sealed with o-rings, they all seem to leak eventually from vibration.

OP
OP
S

Steve_K

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Am I limited to H6 design for my replacement.

UAC return to thst. Delso also comes up with that type. Upon closer inspection of supposed GM branded one, it shows AC DELCO tag. Later on AC Delco could be Korean or Chinese. Hard to trust the brand.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have zero experience with it, but the alternative to the stock compressor is a Sanden style that, I believe, is a bolt-on replacement.

The GM OEM part (that you would get from a dealer) would be Delco and is typically the better choice for nearly all parts - particularly electronics. GM parts will be in ACDelco boxes (GM owns ACDelco) but will include the GM part number sticker.

Delco does sell two other lines of parts since they supply parts for non-GM vehicles as well. Those are Professional and Advantage (I think) with the Advantage being their lower tier. That’s when you can get into rebranded Chinese parts. The GM OEM part would likely be made in the U.S., Mexico or Canada.

I’ve put Delco and Delphi compressors in my 98 models without issue. The oldest is probably seven years old now. Parts being the absolute crapshoot that they are, I can’t think of a GM OEM Delco part that didn’t work correctly right out of the box. I forget how it worked, but believe that Delphi was also a GM supplier at one time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rusty Dodge

Latest posts