AC Diagnosis?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moover

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another AC question here during the summer! I've got a 2005 Tahoe LT 5.3L and the AC blows ice cold until it gets around 90deg outside or 85 and humid - then it will blow cold for 10 minutes and then switch to a sort of warm muggy blow. If I stop and turn the car off/on, it'll reset and blow cold again. Sometimes on the highway it will get warm, then 15 minutes later it will switch back to ice cold and maybe even stay that way for another 2 hours. Basically, it varies when it may come and go, but always is hot outside when there are issues.

Last year I replaced the evap core - air was even colder for a bit, but the same issue stayed around. Is it a compressor or maybe a simple valve issue?

Let me know what yall think and thanks in advance.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another AC question here during the summer! I've got a 2005 Tahoe LT 5.3L and the AC blows ice cold until it gets around 90deg outside or 85 and humid - then it will blow cold for 10 minutes and then switch to a sort of warm muggy blow. If I stop and turn the car off/on, it'll reset and blow cold again. Sometimes on the highway it will get warm, then 15 minutes later it will switch back to ice cold and maybe even stay that way for another 2 hours. Basically, it varies when it may come and go, but always is hot outside when there are issues.

Last year I replaced the evap core - air was even colder for a bit, but the same issue stayed around. Is it a compressor or maybe a simple valve issue?

Let me know what yall think and thanks in advance.
That's almost always a sign of low refrigerant. Put gauges on it and check that first.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as james noted best to check it with a gauge first
that digital control w/auto function is the one that "CAN" go goofy and do exactly like you are reporting
there is no fix you basically have to replace it and they are not cheap, so best to rule everything else out first.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my driver side blend door actuator was doing the exact same thing. put a new one in and im back to full control. driver side at any given time would turn full hot. shut the truck off and restart back to ice cold. in the winter it would come off heat and blow cold air too. id also hear it clicking sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rosun1