AC has me stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fish1534

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 and Escalade, It has the digital HVAC controls and the rear air. About 5 years ago, I upgraded from the mechanical engine fan to the electric engines fans. I used stock parts and had the computer reprogrammed, so it functions more like a 2005/2006 with the electric fans. It has worked great since 2019.

Neither the compressor or electric engine fans turn on when I engage the AC on the dash and it's hot in Florida! I can physically see that neither of the ac compressor or engine fans are on when I engage the AC so it's not a blend door or blower motor or any issue where I'm just not getting cold air to me. The compressor itself works, when I take the rely out and jumper the connection in the fuse box, the compressor turns on. I watch the compressor spin. When the engine temperature reaches 210 the electric cooling fans engage, they blow great. So both the fans and compressor work but they are not being commanded to turn on for AC. In these electric fan models, the engine fans turn on speed 1 at a set temp, speed 2 at another temp, and whenever the AC is on.

My thinking is if the gas pressures were low or the high pressure relay went out the cooling fans would still engage, that AC problems shouldn't interrupt the engine fans. It must be a signal that is not reaching both the fans and the compressor. I thought maybe it was the HVAC head unit because I have read that this is can happen so I swapped it with a junkyard model and neither the fans or compressor engage. Both HVAC head units could be bad but we are getting into lower probabilities of two being bad. I looked at the wiring harness where it connects and didn't see any broken wires. Is there a way to test the signal with the pins coming out of the HVAC head unit? Is there anyway I can put power into the harness connector to see if it engages everything?

What does everyone thing? Any clue what could be causing this? What is between the HVAC head unit and fuse box? All I know of is the engine computer. How hard is it for someone with a scanner to diagnose this? Can the ECU go bad? I had the parameters in the computer changed to add the fans but if the program reset or rebooted, the AC should still work in 2004 mode without the fans. Could I have a broken wire in the harness? Am I overlooking something simple? What should I check next? Thank you!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area with GMT800 trucks will chime in.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

IMO, you are over thinking this. Start with the basics. You need a set of gauges on the system to see what is in the system. You can also see what happens when you jump the low pressure cycling switch at the accumulator.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
An easy thing to check is to test the engine coolant temp sensor, maybe compare the block temp with what the scanned data shows when it's cold.

Also, if you disconnect the ECT sensor with the engine running, do the electric fans turn on?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unless the ac is working the fans do not "just turn on" simply because you turned the ac on, when the ac kicks on it commands the fans on.
at least I am pretty sure thats how it works, so I would have the ac tested. get a guage, or grab a can and add some if it is low some of the cans have a gauge on them.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 2005, as soon as I turn the a/c on, the fan(s) kick on.
that's normal but if there was a problem keeping the ac pump from engaging then the fans would not kick on either. I am pretty sure the when the ac pump kicks on it then sends the signal to turn on the fans. (they work together) if the ac pump kicked on and the fans did not then that would be a different problem.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
that's normal but if there was a problem keeping the ac pump from engaging then the fans would not kick on either. I am pretty sure the when the ac pump kicks on it then sends the signal to turn on the fans. (they work together) if the ac pump kicked on and the fans did not then that would be a different problem.
Completely agree. If the compressor clutch is not activating, then it makes sense the fans would not kick on, just by turning the a/c on.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the clutch dont spin the fans wont come on 100%, theres a sensor at the fire wall near the ac tank thing, if that goes bad it wont turn the clutch on, providing its got refrigerant still. no refrigerant no clutch turn.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
if the clutch dont spin the fans wont come on 100%, theres a sensor at the fire wall near the ac tank thing, if that goes bad it wont turn the clutch on, providing its got refrigerant still. no refrigerant no clutch turn.
That is the accumulator and the low pressure cycling switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtdelta