AC smelling musty - no cabin air filter?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjh517

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello

Our 2003 Yukon XL air conditioning is smelling musty. Thought I would change the cabin air filter - ha! Thank God for youtube!
Now that I know there isn't one, is there anything else I can do to clean up the AC system to get rid of the smell?

Thanks

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best thing I've found is to run it always on outside air, not the recirc. setting. Do you see the water draining in the normal place and amount?

ddbow33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2003 Tahoe didn't have a cabin air filter either. Until I put one in! There's a spot where it SHOULD go. I just used a heat gun to soften the plastic, cut it out with a utility knife and put in the filter. I bought a kit on Amazon. Fairly easy to do. And the junk that came out when I cut out for the filter!! Definitely worth putting your own filter in.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spray aerosol disinfectant / deodorizder, like Lysol or PoopH, into my cowl once a week.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used this before but as others said make sure your drain tubes are not blocked and you see water coming out. Also when it is over 90degrees you're gonna be running recirc LOL

1722525990864.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
432mx