AEM Brute Force vs K&N Air Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slammedchevy01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking at getting a CAI intake for my 03' tahoe 4.8L & want to get rid of the silly airbox. What maintenance is there with the AEM Brute Force? No oiling correct like with the K&N? Just cleaning?

Last edited:

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking at getting a CAI intake for my 03' tahoe 4.8L & want to get rid of the silly airbox. What maintenance is there with the AEM Brute Force? No oiling correct like with the K&N? Just cleaning?

I had a k&N on my last tahoe and liked most of it. the oiling never gave me a problem. I should be getting my aem in today for my 04 rig and I can at least let you know how the install went. Kind of curious myself on the no oiling of the filter, it is going to go against everything my mind is telling me.

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I can tell ya the fit and install was nice with the aem. Pipe had a scratch in it from the box, but thats ok with me. What I do like about this unit over the k&n that wis in my obs. The filter clamps down onto a molded plastic piece and is firm. The mass meter locks onto the same piece. No way for leaks. My k&n was like a hard rubber that was great at first, but after 50k it loosened up and the mas air meter cocked sideways alowing unfiltered air in. pisted me off. It wasa real challenge to fix. I like this set up now but the new k&n's maybe this way by now. I doubt there is any differency in power, but it sounds really good. I only installed it after talking with BB and they said with a tune it will boost performance. Not an aem specific but a cai.
Hope that helped a little.

OP
OP
S

Slammedchevy01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I can tell ya the fit and install was nice with the aem. Pipe had a scratch in it from the box, but thats ok with me. What I do like about this unit over the k&n that wis in my obs. The filter clamps down onto a molded plastic piece and is firm. The mass meter locks onto the same piece. No way for leaks. My k&n was like a hard rubber that was great at first, but after 50k it loosened up and the mas air meter cocked sideways alowing unfiltered air in. pisted me off. It wasa real challenge to fix. I like this set up now but the new k&n's maybe this way by now. I doubt there is any differency in power, but it sounds really good. I only installed it after talking with BB and they said with a tune it will boost performance. Not an aem specific but a cai.
Hope that helped a little.

How is the filter look? Nice? I heard you just wash the filter in a bucket and let dry! Thats what I like LOL:Handshake:

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filter looks pretty good. almost looks like a k&n. Red color gAuze looks thicker.wire inside and out. Directions say to wash it every 20k.so thats probly close to k&n but it came with no cleaning solvent.

Sorry I didnt reread you first post,i just kept going on and on. Time will tell

MUDHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had mine on my tahoe for 2 years and ive never had any problems and i think it looks better than the k&n to

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
partswapper