air ride, best course of action?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how did you decide to start with the compressor? Was it just not coming on? I have to check when I get home, but I don't think mine is coming on anymore. When it was, it DEF didn't sound right. Did you replace it yourself? If so how bad of a job was it? Doesn't look too dificult and somewhat easy access.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

If the rear shocks weren't holding air, i would assume there would be some serious sag issues, everything looks normal.

If I was paying for this, yes I would have done the compressor and shocks. I have only owned the yukon for about a nonth or so and the independent dealer I bought it from is covering this under warranty. Now I tried to tell them that the compressor stopped for a reason, but they didn't listen. Now they want it back for another shot.
Right now when I start it or turn the key to run the new Arnott comp kicks in and inflats the shocks but it leaks out pretty quickly, (win 5 min or less). I plan to take a closer look myself before I take it back.
Now unless I have a load in the back or my boat hooked up the comp doesn't run and it doesn't sage.
the yukon had 61K when I bought it.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Also, when I first bought it I towed right away with my boat and no issues. A week later I tow the boat and get to the lake and it's saging and no matter what I do the comperssor doesn't kick in and the shocks bags are empty. I also noticed the 2nd tiime towing the comp seemed to be running a lot more. Based on what I learned here and other places on the net I figured the shocks died and the compressor ran all the time while towing killing that.

musicman

Reaction score
Musicman, you wouldn't happen to remember where you ordered the kit from would you? I doubt I'll be able to do the shocks myself, but it makes sense to order the whole kit. I only have 76k on my 05 but the shocks would have to be replaced eventually anyway.

Ordered directly from Arnott. Call them, they are really nice.

Directions for shocks install so you know

Take off negative battery
Lossen lugs
Jack up truck
Remove tires
Remove air and sensors (pair of pliers) from side of shock. (very easy)
Remove top and bottom bolts on shock
Replace shock.

Do all in reverse. If you have a jack and simple tools you can do it. On my 04 Yukon Denali they were 21 mm bolts. VERY easy if you or a friend have any experience. If you can change brakes, you can do this job.

OP
OP
elcapitanmas

elcapitanmas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, looks like I'm going to start with the compressor for now. Had the boat hooked up again last night and no sag so I think the shocks are still good. Compressor did not come on. I'll let you all know how it goes when I get around to it. If I had the money I'd do the shocks and comp.

krt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your rear shocks aren't holding the air, you'd see rips in the boots

Decided to get under and take a look off you suggestion. As I said earlier the dealer I bought the Yukon from replaced the compressor but the shocks are not holding air. Put some weight in the back and got the compressor to run and after it shut off I here hissing coming from around the compressor. So I pull the compressor down and find that it's loosing air between dryer and compressor. Pull the dryer off and find that the small red o-ring is pinched.
I tried to seat it in there correctly and it's a little better but it needs to be replaced. So thanks for the suggestion here on the shocks. Maybe my compressor just gave up because the shocks seem to be fine.

Valrio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Compressor 06 Denali

This thread is helping me, thanks.

I replaced the compressor but it runs for only 5 seconds upon ignition turn on. I figured i had a problem with it, but i saw that one of you said the system doesn't turn on unless under a load. My old one would kick on and run for a while (due to bad shocks) upon ignition. Shouldn't the Arnott replacement work the same? I was thinking there was a problem with the pump. I'm going to see how it reacts to some weight.

Questions.
- I ordered the rear Bilstein from arnott, but now questioning whether it should have been the reman shocks to keep the factory dampening. Have you any thoughts on this? I haven't installed them yet so i can swap them still.

- Are the front shocks air? I do not see a bladder on them or an air line, but on the top where the electronic connection is, it could be an air connection too. I had a hard time figuring out how it disconnected and given the plastic i figured i would break it by trying any harder.

Thanks in advance for your help.

krt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is helping me, thanks.

I replaced the compressor but it runs for only 5 seconds upon ignition turn on. I figured i had a problem with it, but i saw that one of you said the system doesn't turn on unless under a load. My old one would kick on and run for a while (due to bad shocks) upon ignition. Shouldn't the Arnott replacement work the same? I was thinking there was a problem with the pump. I'm going to see how it reacts to some weight.

Questions.
- I ordered the rear Bilstein from arnott, but now questioning whether it should have been the reman shocks to keep the factory dampening. Have you any thoughts on this? I haven't installed them yet so i can swap them still.

- Are the front shocks air? I do not see a bladder on them or an air line, but on the top where the electronic connection is, it could be an air connection too. I had a hard time figuring out how it disconnected and given the plastic i figured i would break it by trying any harder.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fronts are not air.

Valrio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fronts are not air.

Thanks. I appreciate the confirmation.

Any opinions on the Arnott/Bilstein rear shocks? Does it make the ride of the denali stiff? I know there are probably a lot of posts on this and i will do a search, but if you have first hand experience, i would appreciate your perspective.

CEN2MENTAL95

Banned
Reaction score
FWIW my replacement arnott compressor never kicked on when I started the truck but my OEM compressor on my denali always kicks on everytime I start it

but yes the bilsteins are about 30% stiffer than OEM......on a bad road with 20" rims and the bilsteins, it can be a bit jarry and stiff

musicman

Reaction score
Personally I liked the way my Yukon rode, so I got the remans. Just my 2c

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1skyline