Alternator Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oaktree

Reaction score
My main question is how do I loosen the belt tensioner? It feels like the hub is going to come off, not spring loaded.
I have replaced the battery, 6 months ago and am getting service charging system fail.
Trying to replace the alternator first before going to the dealer. 2.5yrs and 42,000 miles in.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My main question is how do I loosen the belt tensioner? It feels like the hub is going to come off, not spring loaded.
I have replaced the battery, 6 months ago and am getting service charging system fail.
Trying to replace the alternator first before going to the dealer. 2.5yrs and 42,000 miles in.
usually you just put a ratchet wrench in the pensioner and push or pull, you might need a helper to leverage and usually the plastic intake needs to be moved out of the way to make life easier
2022.JPG

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are you out of warranty and have you tested the charging system? Any CEL/codes?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is not a tensioner. That is not what you loosen to remove belt. Others may know. Is this a stretch belt?

You need to post what the year, make and model are and the engine size.

OP
OP
O

Oaktree

Reaction score
Are you out of warranty and have you tested the charging system? Any CEL/codes?
I’m getting a dash warning, “Service charge system. Vehicle may stall”. Voltage bar on dash is around 9-10, isn’t charging or going above that voltage reading. Dealer assumed alternator.

I’m seeing 4 pulleys, alternator, water pump, crank and pulley seen above. Maybe a pulley/bar that stretches that belt over the round edge water pump pulley…?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marayabarr